About This Chapter
Standards-Based Assessment for ELL in California - Chapter Summary
As you work through this chapter, you'll find lessons outlining standards-based assessment for ELL in the state of California. Curriculum mapping and the use of assessments for ELL students are just a few of the subjects included here for your study. Once you've finished with this chapter, you should be ready to:
- Describe the relationship between ELA and ELD standards in California
- Explain how to make sure that the instruction and assessments meet the needs of Californian ELL students
- Detail the state-mandated standardized assessments used in California
- Outline the framework, history and seven key tenets of 'Understanding by Design'
- Identify what curriculum mapping is and how it's used
Our expert instructors have carefully created these learning materials to be concise, enjoyable and helpful in your study. In the Dashboard, you can track your movement through the chapter and submit questions to one of our instructors to answer. Both the lesson quizzes and the chapter test make great tools to test your knowledge and build your confidence before sitting for an exam.
1. The Relationship Between California ELD & ELA Standards
In this lesson, you can explore the framework that guides the California initiative to have English Language Development (ELD) along with English Language Arts (ELA) standards in classrooms across the state.
2. Meeting the Needs of English Learners in California: Assessment & Instruction
English learners in general need differentiated instruction to succeed in school. In California, the case is no different. This lesson overviews assessment and differentiated instruction for ELLs in California.
3. California State-Mandated Standardized Assessments
The California state-mandated assessments have changed quite a bit in recent years. STAR testing is now a thing of the past. This lesson will provide an overview of the current state-mandated testing requirements for K-12 public schools in California.
4. What is Understanding by Design? - Framework, History & Examples
How can a teacher help students acquire, make meaning of, and transfer knowledge? Begin with the end in mind! 'Understanding by Design' by Jay McTighe and Grant Wiggins is a process that helps teachers plan backwards. Let's see how it works!
5. The Seven Key Tenets of Understanding by Design
Understanding by Design (UbD) rests on seven tenets or core beliefs. They guide and help teachers align curriculum, instruction, and assessment. Explore this groundbreaking process of creating understanding with depth.
6. What is Curriculum Mapping?
In this lesson we will discuss what a curriculum map is. Topics we will cover include what to include in a curriculum map, who writes a curriculum map, and what things to consider when writing a curriculum map.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the CTEL 2 - Assessment & Instruction (032): Practice & Study Guide course
- Purposes & Types of Assessment for ELL
- Language & Content-Area Assessment for ELL
- Programs & Requirements for English Learners in California
- Foundations of English Language Literacy
- English Language Development Approaches & Methods
- Listening & Speaking for California Student English Language Development
- Reading & Writing for California Student English Language Development
- Specially Designed Academic Instruction in English (SDAIE)
- Instructional Planning & Organization for ELD & SDAIE
- Components of Effective Instructional Delivery in ELD & SDAIE
- Effective Resource Use in ELD & SDAIE
- CTEL Assessment & Instruction Flashcards