About This Chapter
Star Types & Life Cycle - Chapter Summary
Use the video lessons in this chapter to take a closer look at star types and their life cycles. Instructors in the lessons introduce you to types of stars in the galaxy by size and color, while examining types of star clusters and the definition of binary stars. You'll also examine the supergiant star and its life cycle, as well as what occurs during a supernova.
Watching the videos will also offer insight into the definitions and life cycles of neutron stars and black holes. Upon completion of this chapter, you should be able to:
- Identify types of stars by size, color and life cycle
- Define main sequence stars
- Explain the life cycle of neutron stars and black holes
- Describe the supernova and supergiant star life cycle
- Identify types of star clusters
The comprehensive video lessons in this chapter offer easy-to-understand online instruction that allows you to study and review materials at your own pace. Expert instructors present the materials in a fun and entertaining manner, offering step-by-step guidance and engaging visual effects. The lessons also offer self-assessment quizzes designed to test your comprehension of the materials. The quizzes come with links that take you back to specific sections of the video lessons if you get stuck on a question. You can also access video transcripts if you want a written copy of the lessons. Instructors are available to answer any questions you have about this chapter.
1. Types of Stars by Size, Color and Life Cycle
Learn to identify the different sizes and colors of stars and how they relate to the star life cycle. In this lesson, we'll talk about spectral classification, how many stars there are of each type and the approximate color of the different classes of stars.
2. What is a Main Sequence Star?
This lesson will explain what a main sequence star is and how it evolves. You'll also learn about how the sun ages as a main sequence star and how that will affect life on Earth.
3. Types of Star Clusters
Our lesson will explore what star clusters are, the two types of star clusters, and their characteristics and differences as well as how we can figure out their ages using the H-R diagram.
4. What Are Binary Stars?
This lesson defines binary stars and describes the different kinds, including visual binary, astrometric binary, spectroscopic binary, and eclipsing binary stars. We'll also describe how orbits and mass relate to one another in a binary star system.
5. Supernova and Supergiant Star Life Cycle
Learn about one of the biggest explosions known to humankind - a supernova. Follow a star's life cycle and learn how a star changes from a red giant to a supernova to a black hole or neutron star.
6. Life Cycle of Neutron Stars
Discover the life of a neutron star, including how it's born after a supernova explosion and how its extreme pressure causes protons and electrons to combine into neutrons. Discover also how pulsars are rotating neutron stars that will eventually slow down to become regular neutron stars.
7. Life Cycle of Black Holes
Learn about black holes, their myths and their reality. Learn how black holes form after stars undergo supernovae and create singularities. Discover how big black holes grow, how scientists find black holes and where black holes are located in the universe.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the MTTC Earth/Space Science (020): Practice & Study Guide course
- Foundations of Earth Science
- Nature of Scientific Inquiry
- Scientific Data & Calculations
- Maps & Spatial Concepts
- Space Science Technology
- Laboratory Equipment, Safety & Procedures
- Earth's Formation & Structure
- Plate Tectonics, Continental Drift & Ocean Formations
- Understanding Earthquakes
- Rocks & Minerals
- Effect of Weathering, Erosion & Deposition
- Geologic Time & Earth's History
- Environmental Impacts of Earth's Natural Resources
- Properties of Water & the Hydrologic Cycle
- Ocean Formation & Characteristics
- Earth's Groundwater
- Earth's Fresh Water
- Global Water Issues
- Atmospheric Structure & Energy Transfer
- Season & Climate Classifications
- Wind, Air Masses & ENSO in Atmospheric Circulation
- Weather Conditions, Patterns & Severe Weather
- Weather Forecasting and Analysis
- Climate Change & Air Pollution
- The Earth & the Moon
- The Sun's Structure, Energy & Life Cycle
- Solar Radiation, Energy & Light
- Celestial Orbit Characteristics
- Formation of the Solar System
- Celestial Bodies in the Solar System
- Kepler & Newton's Laws of Motion
- Characteristics of Stars
- Origins & Theories of the Universe
- MTTC Earth/Space Science Flashcards