About This Chapter
Who's it for?
Anyone who needs help learning or mastering introductory psychology material will benefit from taking this course. There is no faster or easier way to learn about introductory psychology. Among those who would benefit are:
- Students who have fallen behind in understanding the states of consciousness or working with hypnosis and meditation
- Students who struggle with learning disabilities or learning differences, including autism and ADHD
- Students who prefer multiple ways of learning psychology (visual or auditory)
- Students who have missed class time and need to catch up
- Students who need an efficient way to learn about the states of consciousness
- Students who struggle to understand their teachers
- Students who attend schools without extra psychology learning resources
How it works:
- Find videos in our course that cover what you need to learn or review.
- Press play and watch the video lesson.
- Refer to the video transcripts to reinforce your learning.
- Test your understanding of each lesson with short quizzes.
- Verify you're ready by completing the States of Consciousness chapter exam.
Why it works:
- Study Efficiently: Skip what you know, review what you don't.
- Retain What You Learn: Engaging animations and real-life examples make topics easy to grasp.
- Be Ready on Test Day: Use the States of Consciousness chapter exam to be prepared.
- Get Extra Support: Ask our subject-matter experts any states of consciousness question. They're here to help!
- Study With Flexibility: Watch videos on any web-ready device.
Students will review:
In this chapter, you'll learn the answers to questions including:
- What occurs during the sleep cycle?
- What are some of the benefits of sleeping and dreaming?
- How do hypnosis and meditation work?
- How do psychoactive drugs work?
1. States of Consciousness, Self-Awareness & the Unconscious Mind
Consciousness is your awareness of how and why you react to your surroundings. As you watch this video, you may realize that you pass through multiple states of consciousness during any given day.
2. What is the Sleep Cycle? - Definition, Stages & Disorders
What happens when you sleep? Why are dreams typically more intense as morning approaches? This lesson will guide you through the stages of the sleep cycle that make up a full night's rest.
3. Why Do We Sleep and Dream?
The exact functions of sleeping and dreaming are unknown, but psychologists have attempted to interpret what happens and why when we sleep. In this lesson, you'll explore the importance of sleep and some of the more famous theories regarding why we dream.
4. Altered States of Consciousness: Meditation & Hypnosis
How can you reach an altered state of consciousness without drugs? Meditation and hypnosis are two techniques that can promote a relaxed state of mind. Watch this video to learn the difference between the two and their possible effects.
5. What are Psychoactive Drugs? - Definition, Types & Uses
How do psychoactive drugs alter cognitive states? In this lesson, you'll learn how these chemical compounds affect neurotransmitter functions as well as explore some factors that can affect the outcomes of drug use.
6. What Are Benzodiazepines? - Side Effects & Withdrawal
Benzodiazepines are a class of drugs that have a calming effect on the body. In this lesson, we will discuss their mechanism of action, side effects, withdrawal, and addiction potential.
7. Latent Content of Dreams: Definition & Theory
The latent content of a dream is the deeper meaning behind the literal plot of the dream. Read on to learn about the theory that explains the latent content of dreams, and take a quiz to test your understanding.
8. Objective Self Awareness: Theory and Definition
In psychology, the concept of objective self-awareness is complex and significantly contributes to how we live our lives. Through this lesson, you will learn how to define objective self-awareness and explore how the theory was developed.
9. Perceptual Constancy in Psychology: Definition & Examples
Did you know that perceptual constancy assists you in identifying objects under changing conditions? Learn more about perceptual constancy from examples and test your knowledge with a quiz.
10. What is REM Sleep? - Definition & Explanation
REM sleep is a critical part of your sleep pattern every night. How much you get affects your energy level, your ability to learn, your memory and your overall health. Learn more about the benefits of REM sleep, what can rob you of REM sleep and how you can get all that you need.
11. The Phi Phenomenon: Definition & Example
Ever heard the expression 'Your eyes are playing tricks on you?' Well, in some cases they might be! In this lesson, we'll talk about the perceptual illusion known as the phi phenomenon. Then, you'll be able to test your new knowledge with a quiz.
12. Recommended Amount of Sleep by Age
How much sleep should you be getting? What about your children or even your aging parents? This lesson goes over the recommended amount of sleeps for many age groups as well as items that can increase your sleep needs.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 160 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the Intro to Psychology: Help and Review course
- History and Approaches in Psychology: Help and Review
- Biological Bases of Behavior: Help and Review
- Sensation and Perception: Help and Review
- Learning: Help and Review
- Cognition: Help and Review
- Motivation and Emotion: Help and Review
- Developmental Psychology: Help and Review
- Personality: Help and Review
- Social Psychology Topics: Help and Review
- Psychological Disorders and Health: Help and Review
- Psychological Treatments: Help and Review
- Statistics, Tests and Measurement in Psychology: Help and Review
- Neurological Treatment for Psychological Issues