About This Chapter
States of Consciousness - Chapter Summary and Learning Objectives
In this chapter, professional instructors teach you how awareness, or consciousness, develops as humans compare personal values with behavior. You'll get info on the different stages that take place while you're asleep and learn about how hypnosis and meditation create altered states of consciousness. At the end of this chapter you'll be familiar with:
- Automatic and deliberate behaviors
- Five stages of sleep
- Major theories about dreams
- Methods for reaching an altered state of consciousness
- Types of psychoactive drugs
|Intro to States of Consciousness||Discuss self-awareness and defines consciousness. Review related modern-day studies and describe the concept of altered states of consciousness.|
|Sleep Cycle||Examine circadian rhythms and the five stages that take place during sleep. Detail the process of rapid eye movement and define sleep disorders.|
|Why Do We Sleep and Dream?||Explain why sleep is an important component of human function and assess popular dream theories. Examine psychoanalytic theory, activation-synthesis theory and psychotherapeutic theory.|
|Hypnosis and Meditation||Describe two methods for reaching an altered state of consciousness without drugs. Explain how suggestion is used in hypnosis and find out about some key psychologists in this field.|
|Psychoactive Drugs||Identify the four primary psychoactive drugs and list examples of each. Discuss the effects that different drugs have on people.|
1. States of Consciousness, Self-Awareness & the Unconscious Mind
Consciousness is your awareness of how and why you react to your surroundings. As you watch this video, you may realize that you pass through multiple states of consciousness during any given day.
2. What is the Sleep Cycle? - Definition, Stages & Disorders
What happens when you sleep? Why are dreams typically more intense as morning approaches? This lesson will guide you through the stages of the sleep cycle that make up a full night's rest.
3. Why Do We Sleep and Dream?
The exact functions of sleeping and dreaming are unknown, but psychologists have attempted to interpret what happens and why when we sleep. In this lesson, you'll explore the importance of sleep and some of the more famous theories regarding why we dream.
4. Latent Content of Dreams: Definition & Theory
The latent content of a dream is the deeper meaning behind the literal plot of the dream. Read on to learn about the theory that explains the latent content of dreams, and take a quiz to test your understanding.
5. Altered States of Consciousness: Meditation & Hypnosis
How can you reach an altered state of consciousness without drugs? Meditation and hypnosis are two techniques that can promote a relaxed state of mind. Watch this video to learn the difference between the two and their possible effects.
6. What are Psychoactive Drugs? - Definition, Types & Uses
How do psychoactive drugs alter cognitive states? In this lesson, you'll learn how these chemical compounds affect neurotransmitter functions as well as explore some factors that can affect the outcomes of drug use.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 160 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the Psychology 101: Intro to Psychology course
- History & Fundamental Theories of Psychology
- Biological Bases of Behavior for Psychology
- Importance of Sensation and Perception
- Introduction to Learning in Psychology
- Cognition Theories & Processes
- Motivation & Emotion Theories in Psychology
- Developmental Psychology Theories & Stages
- Overview of Personality in Psychology
- Social Psychology Concepts & Theories
- Types of Psychological Disorders
- Types of Psychological Treatments
- Trends in the Study of Psychology
- Statistics & Research for Psychology
- Studying for Psychology 101