About This Chapter
Stereochemistry - Chapter Summary
In this informative and fun chapter, our instructors explain the basic concepts of stereochemistry, including polarimetry and RS and DL configurations. After you work through these helpful lessons, you will be ready to do the following:
- Differentiate between chiral and achiral objects
- Define Fischer projections
- Explain how conformation applies to stereochemistry
Even the toughest chemistry subjects are made easy with our professionally-designed lessons and self-assessment quizzes. You can feel confident you are learning the most important topics related to stereochemistry as you study our mobile-friendly learning materials. Access this chapter at any time to get ready for a test or work through your homework. Our instructors are available to offer additional help if you struggle with any of the lessons.
1. Chiral vs. Achiral: Definition & Examples
Identifying chiral and achiral objects, including molecules, requires looking at many pictures, which is what you'll do in this lesson. You'll also learn the definitions of these terms and use the definitions to distinguish between chiral and achiral molecules.
2. What is Stereochemistry?
In this lesson, we will learn about the stereochemistry of a molecule. We will learn about different types of isomers, how to determine if it is R or S, and optical activity.
3. Conformations in Stereochemistry
What are conformations of organic molecules? What factors cause molecules to have different conformations? Learn what conformational analysis is and what information it provides about the energy of molecules.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the BITSAT Exam - Chemistry: Study Guide & Test Prep course
- Basic Concepts of Chemistry
- Measurement in Chemistry
- Characteristics of Gases
- Solid State Structure & Properties
- Atomic Structure & Models
- Periodic Table & Periodicity
- Types of Chemical Bonding
- Covalent Bonds
- Heat, Work & Energy
- Relative Molecular Mass & Mole
- Chemical Equilibria
- Ionic Equilibria
- Redox Reactions
- Electrochemistry & Voltaic Cells
- Rates of Chemical Reactions
- Chemical Dynamics & Reaction Rates
- Chemical Reaction Mechanisms
- Properties of Colloids
- Overview of Hydrogen
- Block & Group Elements
- Compounds of Element Groups
- Coordination Compounds
- Organic Compounds Overview
- Aliphatic & Aromatic Hydrocarbons
- Alkyl & Aryl Halides
- Alcohols & Phenols
- Ethers & Carbonyl Compounds
- Cyanides, Isocyanides & Nitro Compounds
- Types of Biomolecules
- Polymer Basics
- Chemistry & the Environment
- Everyday Chemistry
- Principles of Experimental Chemistry
- BITSAT Exam - Chemistry Flashcards