About This Chapter
Below is a sample breakdown of the Sterilization & Antiseptic Techniques chapter into a 5-day school week. Based on the pace of your course, you may need to adapt the lesson plan to fit your needs.
|Day||Topics||Key Terms and Concepts Covered|
|Monday||Antiseptics, disinfectants and sterilization; moist heat and irradiation sterilization||Differences between antiseptics, disinfectants and sterilizations; autoclaves; methods of sterilization by irradiation, UV irradiation, ionizing irradiation and gamma irradiation|
|Tuesday||Gas plasma and filtration sterilization; pasteurization||Gas plasma as a method of sterilization; how filtration works; why pasteurization is important|
|Wednesday||Quantifying sterilization; alcohol and phenol disinfectants||Calculating decimal values; using alcohol as either a disinfectant or an antiseptic, optimum microbe-killing concentration; advantages of phenol disinfectants|
|Thursday||Ammonium compounds and peroxide antiseptics||Types of chemical disinfectants; how peroxides are used as antiseptics|
|Friday||Ethylene oxide; chlorhexidine, iodine and silver||Uses and safety for ethylene oxide; types and advantages of chemical antiseptics|
1. Antiseptics, Disinfectants & Sterilization
This lesson will discuss the differences between antisepsis, disinfection, and sterilization as well as some of the methods used for sterilization and antiseptic compounds you may have used yourself.
2. Autoclaves and Moist Heat Sterilization: Use With Surgical Tools
This lesson will discuss what an autoclave is, how it works, and what it's used for. We'll also discuss the disadvantages of an autoclave, bacterial endospores, and how sterilization is important in the context of nosocomial infections.
3. Sterilization by Irradiation: Method & Types
This lesson will talk about ionizing and non-ionizing radiation, what they're used for and what the different types are. For example, we'll touch base on gamma irradiation, electron irradiation, x-ray irradiation and U.V. radiation.
4. What Is Gas Plasma Sterilization? - Definition and Applications
This lesson discusses something known as plasma as well as hydrogen peroxide gas plasma, ions, electrons, and more. We'll talk about how gas plasma is used for sterilization and what it kills.
5. Sterilization by Filtration: Advantages & Disadvantages
This lesson will cover how sterilization may be achieved through the process of filtration. We'll discuss how it works, what it is, its advantages and disadvantages, and much more.
6. What Is Pasteurization? - Definition & Common Uses
This lesson will discuss pasteurization, Louis Pasteur, and mastitis. We'll focus in on how pasteurization works, what it's used on, and why it's important to your health.
7. Understanding How Sterilization Is Quantified
This lesson will describe what certain values, such as the D-value, F-value, Z-value, and thermal death time mean and how to calculate the D-value given certain specified criteria.
8. Using Alcohol as a Disinfectant and Antiseptic
This lesson will discuss how alcohol can be used as a disinfectant and antiseptic but not a sterilant. We'll also talk about what it kills and doesn't kill and why ethyl alcohol and isopropyl alcohol are the two most commonly used alcohol-based disinfectants.
9. What Are Phenol Disinfectants? - Definition, Advantages & Disadvantages
We will explore a disinfectant known as phenol. We'll cover what its mechanism of action is, what it can and cannot kill, its advantages and disadvantages and its involvement in enzyme systems.
10. Chlorine and Quaternary Ammonium Compounds: Advantages and Disadvantages
This lesson covers the very common and well-known disinfectants chlorine and quaternary ammonium. We will talk about their advantages, disadvantages, and uses in addition to the types of microbes they can kill.
11. What Are Peroxide Antiseptics? - Definition, Types & Uses
We will discuss chemical substances known as peroxides. You'll learn about hydrogen peroxide and peracetic acid as well as the way by which they kill microbes and whether or not they are used as a sterilant, disinfectant, or antiseptic.
12. What Is Ethylene Oxide? - Uses, Safety & Technology
This lesson will discuss how a type of gas, called ethylene oxide, can sterilize equipment. We'll talk about the way by which it does this, what its advantages are, as well as the dangers it poses to human health if used improperly.
13. Chlorhexidine, Iodine & Silver: Uses and Modes of Action
This lesson will discuss four commonly heard of chemical antiseptics: namely, iodine and iodophors, silver nitrate, silver sulfadiazine, and chlorhexidine, and it will cover the ways by which they kill microbes.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the Microbiology Syllabus Resource & Lesson Plans course
- Biology Review: Microbiology Lesson Plans
- Microbiology Basics Lesson Plans
- Bacterial Cell Biology Lesson Plans
- Microbiology Laboratory Techniques Lesson Plans
- Microorganisms & the Environment Lesson Plans
- The Disease Process Lesson Plans
- Protozoan Diseases Lesson Plans
- Introduction to Viruses: Microbiology Lesson Plans
- DNA Viruses: Microbiology Lesson Plans
- RNA Viruses: Microbiology Lesson Plans
- Fungal Infections: Microbiology Lesson Plans
- Foodborne Illnesses & Bacterial Infections - Gastrointestinal Tract Lesson Plans
- Sexually Transmitted Bacterial Diseases: Microbiology Lesson Plans
- Blood-borne Bacterial Diseases: Microbiology Lesson Plans
- Bacterial Diseases of the Respiratory Tract: Microbiology Lesson Plans
- Bacterial Skin and Wound Infections: Microbiology Lesson Plans
- Immunology And the Body's Defenses Against Pathogens: Microbiology Lesson Plans
- Antimicrobial Drugs: Microbiology Lesson Plans
- Food and Industrial Microbiology: Microbiology Lesson Plans