About This Chapter
Stimulants & Pharmacology - Chapter Summary
This collection of pharmacology lessons outlines the medical uses, side effects and histories of various stimulant drugs. You can work through the chapter at your own pace to define medical terms related to amphetamine and methamphetamine.
These lessons are taught by expert instructors who approach pharmacology topics in a straightforward and engaging manner. The chapter includes self-assessment quizzes to help you retain the information you've studied. Access these resources at any time that fits your schedule and feel free to reach out to our instructors if you have any questions.
How It Helps
It's important for pharmacists, healthcare professionals and pharmacology students to have a strong understanding of stimulant drugs. This chapter can also help students supplement their pharmacology textbooks and study for upcoming exams. Healthcare professionals can study these lessons on their own schedule for continuing education or training purposes.
After completing the chapter, you should be able to:
- Identify the short and long term side effects of amphetamine
- Recognize the medical uses of methamphetamine
- Summarize the history of methamphetamine in the United States
1. Amphetamine Side Effects: Short & Long Term
In this lesson we are going to look at one of the most commonly prescribed drugs for attention deficit hyperactivity disorder. The short and long-term side effects of amphetamine use will be described in this lesson.
2. How is Methamphetamine Used Medically?
What exactly is methamphetamine? How is this drug used in a medical setting? What is Desoxyn and what can it treat? If you are curious about these questions then take a look at the lesson to get the scoop.
3. Methamphetamine History in America
This lesson discusses the creation of methamphetamine and follows its progression from military use to motorcycle gangs to Mexican cartels, becoming a major drug epidemic in the United States.
4. Ephedrine: Uses & Side Effects
Ephedrine is one of the more controversial drugs in our society. While it has advantages, there are some serious disadvantages to its use. We are going to discuss the uses and side effects of ephedrine and why they occur.
5. Phentermine: Dosage & Side Effects
How hungry is too hungry? Is your body constantly ravenous? There's a pill for that. It's a drug called phentermine. Find out how it works, what its side effects might be, and how to take it, all in this lesson.
6. Lisdexamfetamine vs. Amphetamine
In this lesson, you will learn about the different types of amphetamines as well as their usage, classification, and potential for abuse. You will learn some of the benefits of using amphetamines for certain disorders as well as some pros and cons of each type.
7. Lisdexamfetamine: Uses, Side Effects & Drug Class
This lesson goes over some of the uses and side effects of a medication known as Lisdexamfetamine. You'll also learn about its drug class and what that means for its mechanism of action.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the Introduction to Pharmacology course
- History & Types of Pharmacology
- Basics of Pharmacology
- Formulas & Calculations for Pharmacology
- Dosage Analysis in Pharmacology
- Pharmacology & Physiology
- Respiratory Medications
- Endocrine System Medications
- Therapeutic Responses in Pharmacology
- Medicinal Herbology
- Alternative Medicine & Pharmacology
- Alternative Medicine for Digestive Issues
- Reproductive Health & Pharmacology
- Cancer, Abnormal Cells & Pharmacology
- 5-HT3 Antagonist Drugs
- Anorectic Medications
- Medications for Colds & Coughs
- Medications for Infection Control
- Understanding & Administering Doxycycline
- Anticonvulsant Medications
- Overview of Antihistamines
- Understanding & Administering Loratadine
- Overview of Cholinergic Drugs
- GABA Analogue Medications
- Nonsteroidal Anti-Inflammatory Drugs
- Sodium Channel Blockers
- Understanding Steroids
- Uric Acid Reducers
- Anesthesia & Pharmacology