About This Chapter
Strategic Human Resource Management - Chapter Summary and Learning Objectives
Human resources departments are essential to the function of an organization. Human resource managers are able to improve the performance and effectiveness of these departments when they understand human resource management strategies. The instructors in this chapter will take you through video lessons that cover the most important information for strategic human resource management. Use the quizzes at the end of each lesson to determine how well you are progressing in the chapter. The lessons include the following information:
- Definition of human resource management and why it is vital for organizations
- History of human resource management and the human relations movement
- Discussions surrounding human resource management and personnel management
- Comparison of Soft and Hard HRM and how they are used
- Explanation of how human resources departments can align their strategies with their businesses
- The role of human resources departments and how they plan
- Which information systems are helpful to human resource managers
|Human Resource Management: Definition, Objectives & Responsibilities||Explain human resource management and its importance within organizations.|
|History of HRM: Craft System & Human Relations Movement||Break down the history of human resource management before the human relations movement began.|
|The Human Relations Movement: Definition and Significance to Organizational Behavior||Dissect the human relations movement in order to understand why it impacted the way organizations viewed their employees.|
|Human Resource Management vs. Personnel Management||Compare and contrast the differences between human resource management and personnel management.|
|External Factors Impacting HRM||Evaluate the external factors that affect human resource management.|
|Soft HRM: Employee-First Focus||Summarize soft human resources management, and discuss the most important factors of this approach.|
|Hard HRM: Focus on Corporate Business||Distinguish what hard human resources management is and how this approach is used.|
|Aligning HRM and Organizational Strategy||Analyze why human resource management strategy should be aligned with the overall strategy of the business.|
|HR Department: Definition, Function & Responsibilities||Consider the human resources department and the roles they take on in an organization.|
|Human Resource Planning: Definition & Process||Diagram human resource planning and the responsibilities of the human resource department.|
|Human Resource Information Systems: Costs & Benefits to Employees, HR and Organizations||Compare human resource management information systems and discover why they are helpful.|
1. Human Resource Management: Definition, Objectives & Responsibilities
Human resource management is an essential function of both private and public sector organizations. In this lesson, you'll learn what human resource management is, as well as its objectives and responsibilities in an organization.
2. Human Resource Management vs. Personnel Management
Is there a difference between human resource management and personnel management? Some say there is, and some say there's not. In this lesson, we'll explore what these terms mean and present the case that there is a difference.
3. External Factors Impacting HRM
Businesses don't operate in a bubble and neither does human resource management. In this lesson, you'll learn about some important external factors that impact human resource management. A short quiz follows the lesson.
4. Soft HRM: Employee-First Focus
This lesson focuses on the soft human resource management (HRM) approach. It offers a definition of soft human resource management as well as explores features, advantages and disadvantages of soft HRM.
5. Hard HRM: Focus on Corporate Business
In this lesson, we will define hard HRM (hard human resources management) and discuss the elements, benefits, and disadvantages of this approach to managing human resources. We will also touch on the implementation of the approach.
6. Aligning HRM and Organizational Strategy
Successful businesses have a strategic vision and know how to implement it. In this lesson, you'll learn how human resource management (HRM) can align its organizational functions with the overall strategy of its organization.
7. Human Resource Planning: Definition & Process
In this lesson, we'll define human resource planning and explore the many responsibilities of the human resource department. We'll then learn about the process of human resource planning.
8. Human Resource Information Systems: Costs & Benefits to Employees, HR and Organizations
While we may be heading to a 'paperless' office, the amount of information handled by HR professionals seems to keep growing. In this lesson, you'll learn about human resource information systems and how they can help with information management.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the Business 306: Strategic Human Resources Management course
- Human Resource Management Theory
- Employment Law & Rights of Employees
- Equal Employment Opportunity
- Workplace Diversity & Multiculturalism
- Recruiting & Selecting Employees
- Employee Benefits & Compensation
- Collective Bargaining & Unions
- Organizational Training Programs
- Employee Motivation Theory
- Performance Management
- Employee Value & Competitive Advantage
- Human Resource Management Around the World
- Human Resource Metrics & Measurement
- Required Assignments for Business 306
- Studying for Business 306