About This Chapter
Strategic Planning for Marketers - Chapter Summary
The video lessons in this chapter explain the concept and role of strategic planning for the business marketing of products. You will learn about business products and also examine various types of consumer products, including specialty, unsought and convenience products. These lessons explain what is required for product development and how business growth is defined in terms of marketing.
In this chapter's lessons, the steps in creating a successful marketing plan are covered, while other lessons give you in-depth looks at strategic planning for marketing and planning analysis. After completing this chapter, you should have an understanding of the following topics:
- Types of consumer products, including convenience, specialty and unsought products
- The definition of a business product
- Identifying strategic alternatives for marketing
- What constitutes business growth?
- Steps involved in product development
- Types of marketing strategies
- Basics of a sound marketing plan
These concise, engaging video lessons are taught by experienced instructors who explain each topic in an enjoyable manner. The video tags included in each lesson make it easy to find and review key points without having to watch the entire presentation again. Written transcripts of the lessons are included, giving you another option for review. You can assess your knowledge with the multiple-choice quizzes that accompany the lessons.
1. What is a Business Product: Definition for Marketers
In this lesson, you'll find out the difference between a consumer product and a business product. You will also learn about the different business categories and seven types of business products.
2. Consumer Products: Convenience, Shopping, Specialty & Unsought Products
In this lesson, you will learn the difference between business and consumer products. We will also discuss the different ways they can be classified, which include the areas of convenience, shopping, specialty and unsought.
3. How to Identify Strategic Alternatives in Marketing
Marketing managers must decide the type of strategic alternative that will be undertaken for their marketing plan. Managers can choose from four options to increase sales and profits.
4. Types of Planning: Strategic, Tactical, Operational & Contingency Planning
This lesson will explain the four types of planning used by managers, including strategic, tactical, operational and contingency planning. Terms, such as single-use plans, continuing plans, policy, procedure and rule, will also be defined.
5. Planning as a Function of Management
In this lesson, you will learn the role of planning as a function of management. Discover the advantages of and barriers to planning, and how it is used to achieve organizational goals.
6. Integrated Marketing Communication and the Marketing Plan
In order to compete in today's difficult market, a marketing manager must create not just a promotional mix, but an integrated marketing communications plan. This is a coordinating plan of promotional messages for a product to ensure consistency. The product's promotional message should be consistent and create an overall integrated theme.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the High School Marketing for Teachers: Help & Review course
- How Organizations are Structured & Designed
- General Business Management
- Ethics and Social Responsibility in Organizations
- Business Law & Regulation
- Economic Basics
- Business and the Economy
- The Economy and the US Government
- Entrepreneurship & Types of Businesses
- Marketing Basics
- Product Pricing & Selling
- Product Development & Distribution
- Promotion & Advertising
- Selling & Customer Service
- Market Research and Segmentation
- Global Business Strategies and Challenges
- Business Communication
- Business Analytics
- Computer Basics for Business
- The Internet and Business
- Marketing Education
- Career Planning for High School Students
- Laying the Foundation for a Marketing Career
- Marketing Employment Skills
- Marketing Career Stages
- Marketing Instruction & Assessment