About This Chapter
Strategic Planning in Business - Chapter Summary
Use these lessons to learn more about strategic planning in business. Compare and contrast strategic, operational, tactical, and contingency planning. Let our subject experts help you prep for test questions by reviewing the lesson material, including:
- The definition of strategic plans
- Four qualities of effective plans per Henri Fayol
- Organizational planning's three levels
These are text and video lessons, each with an accompanying quiz for testing your comprehension of the material as you progress through the chapter. Video lessons include a transcript and also a keyword-based timeline tool for ease of locating any section you want to replay. Track your progress through your studies with the dashboard feature.
1. What Are Strategic Plans in Business? - Definition & Examples
Strategic planning is the process of outlining a long-term vision for a company. Learn about the role of strategic planning in business, see its application, and take a quiz on what you've learned.
2. Henri Fayol's Four Qualities of Effective Plans
Henri Fayol is considered the father of business management. He determined the five functions of business. This lesson will take a look at one area of Fayol's management functions: planning.
3. Three Levels of Organizational Planning
Are you wondering, 'How do I go about devising a new strategy for the next year?' In this lesson, we will discuss the three levels of organization planning and how to follow through with organizational planning in large organizations.
4. Types of Planning: Strategic, Tactical, Operational & Contingency Planning
This lesson will explain the four types of planning used by managers, including strategic, tactical, operational and contingency planning. Terms, such as single-use plans, continuing plans, policy, procedure and rule, will also be defined.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 95 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 2,000 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the CM Planning & Organizing Exam Study Guide - Certified Manager course
- Business Missions & Goals
- Building Strategy in Business
- Value Chain Management
- Improving Customer Relations
- Improving Quality in Business
- Improving Efficiency in Business
- Improving Innovation in Business
- Project Management Definition & Skills
- Managing Structure & Culture in Business
- Building Teams & Work Groups
- Human Resources & Hiring
- Training & Assessment in an Organization
- Overview of Workplace Pay & Benefits
- Diversity at Work
- Coaching & Feedback in the Workplace
- Career Business Networking
- Mentoring at Work
- Holding Productive Meetings