About This Chapter
Strategic Thinking & Planning in Business - Chapter Summary
Our lessons can give your strategic thinking corporate training a boost with some key terminology and applications of strategic thinking. Whether you have your employees complete these lessons individually or you do them together as a team, you will expand their capacity to work through complex problems and develop effective plans as you discuss topics including:
- Strategic planning vs. strategic thinking
- The strategic planning process
- Business strategy types
- Formulating strategy
Our training modules are a comprehensive business learning tool, connecting your employees with instructors who have tons of business experience. The videos include engaging graphics and realistic examples, and we provide a transcript with every video so your employees can review the content in print. A brief quiz following each video and a test at the end of the chapter are also available to check their understanding.
How It Helps
- Develops leaders: Your employees will learn to think broadly and develop deliberate plans that meet business challenges.
- Drives growth: Armed with a long view and tools to travel the distance between where they are and where they want to be, your management staff will develop plans which support organizational goals and expansion.
- Conditions thinking: These videos will help your staff make strategic thinking a rote function of their decision-making processes.
After completing these lessons, your employees will be able to:
- Compare and contrast strategic planning and strategic thinking
- Outline and employ the strategic planning process
- Formulate corporate strategy in order to meet long-term goals
- Explain and use several business strategies
1. Strategic Thinking vs. Strategic Planning in Business
Paul, the CEO of a widget-producing company, needs to think strategically. The strategic process has different steps. We will discuss how strategic thinking differs from strategic planning in the business world.
2. What Is the Strategic Planning Process? - Model, Steps & Examples
Strategic planning is essential for organizational success. In this lesson, you'll learn about strategic planning, including the steps in the process. A short quiz is provided after the lesson.
3. Different Types of Business Strategies
Businesses are in business to make money. In order to accomplish this objective, a business may employ different business strategies in order to win over customers and generate profit. In this lesson, you'll learn about some of the common strategies.
4. Strategy Formulation: Definition, Model & Process
Ever used a road map to get somewhere? Well, a strategy is a road map for a business. In this lesson, you'll learn about the process of strategy formulation. You'll also have a chance to take a short quiz after the lesson.
5. Practical Application: Business Strategy Formulation Template
Strategic planning is an important part of business success. It doesn't happen on its own, though; leaders must develop a business strategy. This template will walk you through how to develop your own business strategy.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the Applying Strategic Thinking Skills course