About This Chapter
Strategies for Managing Virtual Teams - Chapter Summary
Use the lessons in this chapter to help your managers develop strategies for handling various issues that may come up when working with virtual teams, including hiring, scheduling and productivity. Managerial staff should learn about the following:
- Benefits of utilizing virtual teams
- Duties of a virtual team manager
- How to promote productivity in a virtual team
- Management strategies for virtual teams
- How to overcome the drawbacks of mixing office and virtual teams
These brief video lessons describe the duties of a manager of virtual teams and look at potential problems and resolutions. Used as part of a group corporate training program, the lessons and quizzes that accompany the the videos offer an opportunity for your managers to share experiences and exchange ideas.
How It Helps
- Educates managers: Your virtual team managers can get an overview of their responsibilities, including hiring, goal setting and scheduling, by watching these lessons.
- Teaches strategies: By providing several management strategies for common workplace situations, these videos present managerial employees with options they can adapt to their team's specific needs.
- Prevents conflict: Sometimes there are problems and misconceptions when virtual teams work with office-based teams. These lessons will help your managers understand these issues and be ready to address them should they occur.
Watching these video lessons should leave your managers able to:
- Discuss the advantages of working with virtual teams
- Understand the manager's role in organizing a virtual team
- Foster productivity among a virtual team
- Utilize management strategies in several areas, including communication and productivity
- Blend virtual and office teams
1. Advantages of Virtual Teams
Companies are looking for ways to reduce expenses, recruit more talented employees, and increase customer satisfaction. One emerging trend is the use of virtual teams. Read this lesson to learn about the advantages of a virtual team.
2. Planning & Organizing a Virtual Team
With more employees working from home and satellite offices, virtual teams are becoming common in business today. Virtual team success depends on creating work plans, work protocols, scheduling strategies, and technology plans.
3. Tips for Building Productive Virtual Teams
Virtual teams are trending in the business world. While just assembling a group of people does not always yield high productivity, implementing the right strategies may help to build a dynamic virtual team.
4. Effective Management Styles for Virtual Teams
In this lesson, we'll explore effective management styles for the supervisor who works with virtual teams. You'll learn the characteristics of each style and the reasons why these approaches are a good fit for virtual teams.
5. How to Lead Virtual Teams Effectively
Your team is spread out all over the world and it's your job to lead them effectively. This lesson offers three areas you can focus on to strengthen communication, loyalty, and team spirit.
6. Challenges With Blending Virtual & Office Teams
This lesson provides specific suggestions to blend virtual and office teams. Topics covered include communication, collaboration, setting clear expectations, and creating fair performance measures.
7. Managing Conflict in Virtual Teams
In this lesson, we will explore several key ways that one can manage conflict when working with virtual teams. In addition, we will discuss the two major types of conflict that arise in virtual work situations.
8. Special Considerations for Managing Virtual Teams
When managing virtual teams, managers must take a closer look at job roles, project scope, and risk mitigation. In this lesson, we'll take a closer look at these special considerations for remote team managers.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 160 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 2,000 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.