About This Chapter
Strategies for Math Word Problems - Chapter Summary
This helpful study guide chapter will help you review key strategies for solving math word problems. The instructors for these lessons present the information in an engaging, understandable format to maintain interest and promote retention. Some of the effective problem solving strategies outlined in this chapter include:
- Step-by-step instructions for solving word problems
- Identifying and solving word problems that have several steps
- Personalizing or restating word problems into more familiar terms
- Translating verbal descriptions into mathematical equations
Complete each lesson at your own pace, carefully reviewing the concepts and checking for comprehension by utilizing the multiple-choice lesson quizzes. The more comprehensive chapter exam will help you gauge your overall understanding of the material covered throughout the entire chapter. These assessment tools will also help you determine if any concepts need further review before moving on. Printable materials, such as full video transcripts and quiz worksheets, can be used as additional study resources.
1. Solving Word Problems: Steps & Examples
Watch this video lesson to learn how you can solve word problems by following this 3-step process. Learn how to visualize your problem so you fully understand it. Then learn how to write and solve your equations.
2. Solving Word Problems with Multiple Steps
Not all word problems are so straightforward that they only require you to do one operation and you're done. Some are more complicated, requiring several steps. Watch this video lesson to learn how to solve these kinds of problems.
3. Translating Words Into Math Symbols
Math is its own language, which can make solving problems difficult. This lesson will help you translate words into math symbols, so you can easily solve word problems.
4. Personalizing a Word Problem to Increase Understanding
When it comes to word problems, being able to personalize a word problem with more familiar situations will help you a lot in your problem solving. Watch this video lesson to learn how you can restate the word problem in terms you understand.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the NES Elementary Education Subtest 2 (103): Practice & Study Guide course
- Numeration, Number Sense, & Mathematical Operations
- Prime Numbers, Composite Numbers & Divisibility Rules
- The Least Common Multiple & Greatest Common Factor
- Place Values, Ordering Fractions & Decimals
- Rounding & Estimating Numbers
- Arithmetic & Estimation Using Decimals
- Mixed Numbers & Fractions
- Solving & Graphing Rational Numbers
- Rates, Ratios & Proportions
- Scientific Notation Math
- Tools for Representing Mathematical Concepts
- Calculating & Interpreting Statistical Data
- Algebraic Patterns, Equations & Functions
- Equalities & Inequalities
- Properties of Geometric Shapes
- Converting & Graphing Units of Measurement
- Area, Perimeter, Surface Area & Volume
- Life & Zoological Sciences
- Plants, Biomes & Genetics
- Taxonomy & Evolution
- Physical, Earth & Space Sciences
- Components of the Solar System & Universe
- Weather, Climate & Geologic Systems
- Scientific Method, Inquiry & Data Analysis
- Music, Drama, Theater & the Arts
- Health & Fitness in Children
- NES Elementary Education Subtest 2 Flashcards