About This Chapter
Strategies for Promoting Literacy to Students - Chapter Summary
This chapter offers an entertaining exploration of strategies for promoting literacy to students. Examining bite-sized lessons can help you understand ways educators can teach students to become better readers and listeners. Study this chapter at your own pace. When finished, you will be able to:
- List and describe strategies for assessing reading materials
- Detail ways educators can teach reading comprehension
- Describe methods for promoting and modeling the joy of reading to students
- Discuss strategies educators can use to integrate multiple literacies
- Explain how to teach listening skills to children
- Share strategies for teaching students how to view media for enjoyment and comprehension
Study any lessons that can help you refresh or improve your comprehension of the strategies for promoting literacy to students covered in this chapter. If you need additional information about topics explored in the lessons, feel free to send your questions to our experts. Multiple-choice quizzes and a practice exam can successfully check your knowledge of the subject area. All study resources in this chapter are accessible 24/7 via any smartphone, tablet or computer.
1. Strategies for Assessing Reading Materials
One of the most important aspects of being an English language arts teacher is choosing suitable reading materials for your students. Watch this video lesson to learn strategies for choosing the most appropriate materials.
2. How to Teach Reading Comprehension
Teaching reading comprehension requires instilling in the learner the use of several strategies and skills. This lesson will focus on cognitive skills and notation strategies that will enhance reading comprehension.
3. Promoting & Modeling Joy of Reading to Students
This lesson offers ideas and strategies for educators who want to promote and model the joy of reading to students. Teachers who encourage a love of reading while also teaching actual reading skills will help their students be successful.
4. Strategies for Integrating Multiple Literacies
Today, 'literacy' refers to more than the ability to interpret printed text - even Googling is part of literacy. In this lesson, you will learn the definition and competencies of multiple literacies and how to integrate them into your Media Center.
5. Teaching Listening Skills to Children
Sometimes it seems like children just won't listen! Maybe they simply don't have the skills yet. This lesson will give you some strategies for teaching your students to listen.
6. Teaching Media Viewing Skills to Students
~'Yay, free day! We are watching a movie!~' Students associate watching movies with no work. However, media can be a great teaching tool or supplement when used correctly! Read on to learn strategies for teaching media viewing skills to students.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the Ohio Assessments for Educators - School Library Media Specialist (041): Practice & Study Guide course
- Roles of the Library Media Program
- Roles & Responsibilities of the Library Media Specialist
- School Library Communication & Collaboration
- Planning & Evaluating Library Media Programs
- Developing & Managing the School Library Environment
- Methods & Materials for Information Literacy Skills
- Children's & Young Adult Literature
- Resources & Services for Diverse Student Groups
- Instructional Strategies for School Libraries
- Assessment & Data for School Librarians
- Management of Library Resources
- OAE School Library Media Specialist Flashcards