About This Chapter
Strategies for Reading Technical and Functional Texts - Chapter Summary
This chapter includes text and video lessons on the fundamentals of technical and functional text. The lessons will allow you to review end-user documents and scientific presentations, explore the rules for interpreting tables of scientific data and check out various elements of informational reports. After studying the chapter's videos, you could be able to:
- Define technical text and identify various technical documents
- Outline the uses for informational and analytical reports
- Recognize a unilateral contract
- Explain the implications of the Uniform Commercial Code
- Analyze textual and non-textual scientific presentations
- Complete practice problems with charts and graphs of scientific data
Learn from accomplished instructors who can also answer your questions about technical and functional texts as you submit them interactively. The online lessons are accessible 24/7 as long as you have the use of a mobile or wired Internet-connected device. Written transcripts accompany the short videos, and the self-assessment quizzes are designed to gauge your retention of the material you've studied.
1. Technical Text: Definition & Examples
Don't worry; we don't have to get too technical to figure out just what a technical text really is. See how easy they can be to deal with in this lesson, where you'll see technical texts defined, as well as a few examples!
2. Types of Technical Documents
There are many different types of technical documents. Which technical document you choose to create depends on your audience and your purpose. This video will explain the three main categories of technical documents and provide examples for each.
3. Informational and Analytical Reports: Definition and Uses
In this lesson, you will learn the difference between informational and analytical reporting and their specific uses in the business world in order to help make decisions.
4. Unilateral Contract: Definition & Example
Once you complete this lesson, you'll have an understanding of what a unilateral contract is. You'll examine the definition of unilateral contract, as well as review an example.
5. Warranties Under the Uniform Commercial Code
The Uniform Commercial Code's Article 2 covers contracts for the sale of goods. Article 2 contains warranties included as part of the sale of goods. This lesson explains the difference between express warranties and implied warranties.
6. Understanding Textual & Non-Textual Scientific Presentations
In order to understand science, you have to know science. This knowledge includes understanding the various ways that scientific information may be presented as well as how to critically analyze that information.
7. Interpreting Graphs and Charts of Scientific Data: Practice Problems
Do charts and graphs make problem-solving difficult? Complex problems with visual representations can drain your brain during a test. In this lesson, learn three simple rules for solving problems with charts and graphs. We'll try them out as we walk through two sample problems.
8. Interpreting Tables of Scientific Data: Practice Problems
Complex table problems getting you down? Multi-question, situational problems don't have to be a drag on your testing performance. Learn how to apply three simple rules as we walk through two table problems together.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the AP English Literature: Help and Review course
- AP English - Literary Analysis Intro: Help and Review
- AP English - Interpreting Literature: Help and Review
- Influences on the English Language
- Rhetorical Devices in AP English: Help and Review
- Genres in Literature
- Types of Fiction
- Types of Nonfiction
- Analytical Writing Strategies
- AP English - Prose: Help and Review
- AP English - Types of Poetry: Help and Review
- Literature in Old English & Middle English
- Literature of the English Renaissance
- Romantic Prose in British Literature
- English Literature in the 17th & 18th Century
- The Romantic Poetry Movement in English Literature
- Literature of the Turn of the Century
- Modernist Authors in English Literature
- Nonfiction Selections in English Literature
- The Oral Tradition
- AP English - American Literary Periods and Movements: Help and Review
- AP English - Examples of American Literary Analysis: Help and Review
- AP English - English Literary Periods and Movements: Help and Review
- AP English - Examples of English Literary Analysis: Help and Review
- Grammar Review in AP English: Help and Review
- AP English - Essay Basics - Types of Essay: Help and Review
- Essay Writing Conventions for AP English: Help & Review
- Beginning the Writing Process in AP English: Help and Review
- Writing & Structuring an Essay in AP English: Help and Review
- Writing Revision and Skill Development in AP English: Help and Review
- Reading Comprehension for Test-Taking
- About the AP English Literature Test