About This Chapter
Strategies for Solving Math Word Problems - Chapter Summary
This short chapter enables you to quickly and effectively grasp basic strategies for solving math word problems. Review engaging lessons to study distance formulas, Venn diagrams, the metric system and much more. In no time, you will have the knowledge to:
- Solve interest problems and problems using rates
- Complete mixture problems
- Calculate percentage discount
- Define and calculate gross profit
- Use diagrams to solve word problems
- Solve real-world geography problems using area
All the lessons in this chapter are available around-the-clock and can be accessed using any computer, smartphone or tablet. This flexibility enables you to study strategies for solving math word problems whenever and wherever your schedule permits. Tailor your review of this chapter by choosing the lessons you want to study and revisiting them as often as you'd like. Get extra practice solving these types of questions by taking mini quizzes and a chapter exam.
1. Distance Formulas: Calculations & Examples
Let's go on a road trip! In this lesson, we'll practice calculations involving distance, rate and time. We'll also look at how we determine the relationship between distance and fuel.
2. Solving Problems Using Rates
In this video lesson, learn how to set up rate problems so you can easily solve them. You will become familiar with the rate formula and you will see how easy it is to use.
3. Practicing Mixture Problems in Algebra
Mixture problems in algebra become easier the more we practice them. This lesson will provide multiple practice problems and familiarize us with the general solving process of these types of problems.
4. How to Solve Interest Problems: Steps & Examples
If you want to know how your money can earn money, then it's essential to learn about solving interest problems. In this lesson, we'll practice calculating interest amounts and interest rates.
5. How to Calculate Percentage Discount
This lesson reviews the steps for calculating percent discount. The lesson includes scenarios such as unknown sales price, unknown discount rate and unknown original price.
6. What Is Gross Profit? - Definition, Formula & Calculation
When we think of the word profit, we often think of how much money was made for doing something. In the accounting industry, there is more than one kind of profit. In this lesson, we'll discuss what gross profit is and how it is calculated.
7. Venn Diagrams: Subset, Disjoint, Overlap, Intersection & Union
The Venn diagram was introduced by John Venn. Yes, the Venn diagram is named after a real person! His idea was to show sets in terms of pictures. The Venn diagram is now used in many fields, including mathematics. Let's take a look at John Venn's idea.
8. Using Diagrams to Solve Word Problems
In this lesson, you will learn the important role diagrams play in solving word problems. Some word problems can have a lot of information, which may create confusion when trying to find the answer. One way organize information is to use a diagram.
9. Area: Real-World Geometry Problems
View this lesson to see how you can use geometric area in real-world situations, like mowing the lawn or picking out which carpet installer you should hire. A quick area review and quiz are also included.
10. The Metric System: Units and Conversion
Just like you and your friend communicate using the same language, scientists all over the world need to use the same language when reporting the measurements they make. This language is called the metric system. In this lesson we will cover the metric units for length, mass, volume, density and temperature, and also discuss how to convert among them.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the GMAT Test: Online Prep and Review course
- GMAT: About the Test
- GMAT Analytical Writing Assessment Overview & Best Practices
- Writing Skills for Exam Takers
- GMAT Quantitative Section: About the Quantitative Section
- GMAT Integrated Reasoning: Types of Questions & Overview
- Problem Solving for Exam Takers
- Fundamentals of Arithmetic for the GMAT
- Advanced Arithmetic Key Concepts
- Mathematical Patterns
- Reviewing Basic Algebra Concepts
- Reviewing Basic Geometry Concepts
- Numerical Ability: Reasoning & Data Interpretation
- Interpreting Data & Statistics
- Answering Data Sufficiency GMAT Questions
- GMAT Verbal Section
- Test-Taking Strategies for the GMAT
- Critical Reasoning for Test-Taking
- Sentence Correction Techniques
- English Usage Conventions in Writing
- GMAT Test Flashcards