About This Chapter
Stress Disorders and Personal Health - Chapter Summary and Learning Objectives
The video lessons in this chapter have been designed to provide you with a step-by-step introduction to stress disorders, which can occur after you've experienced a significant life change or traumatic event. After providing you with a working definition of a stress disorder, your instructor will discuss the theories that are used to explain how we respond to stressful changes, as well as how those responses are categorized according to their level of intensity. You'll also learn about physical disorders that have a psychological component and explore the cutting-edge field of positive psychology. After you've finished watching the videos and testing your own knowledge of this important subject, you should be able to define and explain the following key terms:
- Acute stress disorder
- The flight or fight response
- Psychophysiological disorders
|Stress Disorders: Definition and Perspectives||Define stress disorders within the context of mental health.|
|Introduction to Emotions||Demonstrate a basic understanding of emotions.|
|Categorizing Emotions||Explain how emotions are identified and classified.|
|Theories of Emotion||Summarize the different theories used to explain emotions.|
|Fight or Flight Response||Define and discuss the flight or fight response.|
|Acute Stress Disorder: Definition, Causes and Treatment||Define acute stress disorder, and elaborate on its causes and treatments.|
|Psychophysiological Disorders: Definition, Types, Causes and Treatment||Summarize the different types of psychophysiological disorders, including their causes and treatments.|
|Positive Psychology||Discuss the theories and therapeutic approaches associated with positive psychology.|
1. Stress Disorders: Definition and Perspectives
Stress disorders are psychological issues related to how a person reacts to stress in their life. Explore the definition and perspectives of stress disorders and learn about stress, approaches to stress, and managing stress.
2. Emotions in Psychology: Definition, Biological Components & Survival
Emotions are part of human affection and are controlled and regulated by specific areas of the brain. Learn the definition of emotions in psychology, study the biological components, and discover the role of emotions in survival and non-verbal communication.
3. Categories of Emotion: 6 Basic Emotions, Oppositional Pairs & Biology
Psychologists who study emotions have different ways of categorizing them. Explore Ekman's theory of the six basic emotions, Plutchik's theory of oppositional pairs, and how to think about emotions in terms of processing speed.
4. Theories of Emotion: James-Lange, Cannon-Bard, Two-Factor & Facial Feedback Hypothesis
The James-Lange theory asserts that emotions are reactions to physiological arousal rather than the other way around. Explore the theories that challenged the James-Lange theory, such as Cannon-Bard and the two-factor theories of emotion, and discover the relevance of the facial feedback hypothesis.
5. Fight or Flight Response: Definition, Physiology & Examples
The body's physiological reaction to danger, known as the fight or flight response, is mediated by the sympathetic nervous system. Learn how to define the fight or flight response, explore its physiology, and review examples of how it works.
6. Acute Stress Disorder: Definition, Causes and Treatment
When a person experiences intense stress and disassociation after a traumatic event, they may suffer from acute stress disorder. Learn the definition of acute stress disorder, then explore the diagnosis, causes, and treatments.
7. Psychophysiological Disorders: Definition, Types, Causes and Treatment
Psychophysiological disorders involve an interaction between psychological and physical conditions. Learn the definition, causes and types of psychophysiological disorders, examine how stress affects physical diseases, and explore the treatment options.
8. Positive Psychology: Optimism, Self-Efficacy & Happiness
Positive psychology involves certain concepts related to positive feelings that help people cope with situations in their life. Learn about optimism and its relationship with happiness and self-efficacy.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 220 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Other chapters within the DSST Health & Human Development: Study Guide & Test Prep course
- Introduction to Health and Wellness
- Psychosocial Health for Personal Wellness
- Mood Disorders and Personal Health
- Anxiety Disorders and Personal Health
- Psychotic Disorders and Personal Health
- Personality Disorders and Personal Health
- Stress Management and Coping Mechanisms
- Addictive Behaviors and Drug Use
- Alcohol & Tobacco Use and Personal Health
- Drugs & Substance Use Disorders
- Healthy Relationships and Sexuality
- Contraception and Family Planning
- Human Reproduction, Pregnancy & Birth
- Sexual & Gender Identity Disorders and Personal Health
- Nutrition's Role in Health
- Fitness for Personal Health
- Weight Management for Personal Health
- The Aging Population and Personal Health
- Dying & Bereavement in Personal Health
- Cardiovascular, Respiratory, & Endocrine Health
- Cancer and Personal Health
- Immune Disorders & Infectious Conditions
- Diabetes, Arthritis, and Genetic-Related Disorders
- Neurological Disorders, Symptoms & Conditions
- Introduction to Environmental Health and Risk Analysis
- Environmental Health: Issues and Human Concerns
- Intentional Violence and Injury
- Personal Safety Precautions
- Consumer Awareness of Health Care
- DSST Informational Resources
- DSST Health & Human Development Flashcards