About This Chapter
Below is a sample breakdown of the Stress in Psychology chapter into a 5-day school week. Based on the pace of your course, you may need to adapt the lesson plan to fit your needs.
|Day||Topics||Key Terms and Concepts Covered|
|Monday||Sources of stress, stress effects and reactions||Main causes, eustress, distress, general adaptation syndrome, chronic stress, weaker immune system, HPA-axis|
|Tuesday||Type A personality style||Impatient, competitive, driven, stress-related health problems|
|Wednesday||Type B personality style||Disorganized, creative, steady pace, easy-going|
|Thursday||Richard Lazarus' appraisal theory of stress||Behavioral psychology, cognitive psychology, transactional theory, primary and secondary appraisal|
|Friday||Positive psychology and cognitive and behavioral strategies||Improving health, optimism, self-efficacy, happiness, meaningful activity, Martin Seligman, self-talk|
1. Understanding Stress: Eustress, Distress & Coping Strategies
Most people have to deal with stress on a regular basis. But do you know what it's really doing to your body? Learn more about the reasons behind feeling stressed as well as common strategies to not let the stress get to you.
2. Physiological & Psychological Reactions to Stress
While you probably know what stress is, you may not be aware of what it can do to you. In this lesson, we look at physical and psychological reactions to stress.
3. Psychology Research on Type A & Type B Personalities
What makes a person who they are? And can your personality affect your health? In this lesson, we'll examine two common personalities - type A and type B - and how they are linked with stress and with a person's health.
4. Richard Lazarus's Theory of Stress Appraisal
How can something make one person really, really stressed, and not bother someone else at all? In this lesson, we'll examine Richard Lazarus's appraisal theory of stress, including primary and secondary appraisals.
5. Cognitive Strategies for Dealing with Stress
In this lesson, we'll learn some cognitive strategies for dealing with stress. This involves dealing with stress in a different manner, but allows us to be more proactive about it.
6. Positive Psychology: Optimism, Self-Efficacy & Happiness
There are folks who see the glass half-full and those who see it half-empty. But it's the same glass, so why does it matter what kind you are? Find out just how big of an impact your answer to this common question can have on how you live your life.
7. Behavioral Strategies for Dealing with Stress
Everyone has varying levels of stress, but being able to handle that stress can really make a difference. In this lesson, we look at behavioral strategies for dealing with stress.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the High School Psychology Syllabus Resource & Lesson Plans course
- History of Psychology Lesson Plans
- Research Methods in Psychology Lesson Plans
- Data Collection in Psychology Lesson Plans
- Sampling in Psychological Research Lesson Plans
- Measurement in Psychological Research Lesson Plans
- Statistics in Psychological Research Lesson Plans
- Evaluating Psychological Research Lesson Plans
- Biological Bases of Behavior Lesson Plans
- Sensation & Perception Lesson Plans
- Motivation & Needs Lesson Plans
- Emotion in Psychology Lesson Plans
- Life Span Developmental Psychology Lesson Plans
- Theories for Life Span Development Lesson Plans
- Biological Development in Psychology Lesson Plans
- Sensory & Perceptual Development Lesson Plans
- Cognitive Development Lesson Plans
- Physical Development & Psychology Lesson Plans
- Social Development in Psychology Lesson Plans
- Personality Development & Theories Lesson Plans
- Learning & Conditioning in Psychology Lesson Plans
- Memory & Cognition in Psychology Lesson Plans
- Intelligence Testing in Psychology Lesson Plans
- Sleep & Other States of Consciousness Lesson Plans
- Basics of Social Psychology Lesson Plans
- Basics of Abnormal Psychology Lesson Plans
- Theories of Abnormal Psychology Lesson Plans
- Abnormal Disorders in Psychology Lesson Plans
- Treatment of Psychological Disorders Lesson Plans
- Legal & Ethical Issues in Psychology Lesson Plans