About This Chapter
Stress Risks & Disorders - Chapter Summary
Practically everyone has to deal with stress-causing situations, but not everyone handles stress the same way. These lessons examine risk factors associated with stress, as well as stress disorders.
There are many ways to use our study materials effectively. Some people prefer starting at the first lesson and moving through the chapter one lesson at a time. This method works well if the material is completely new to you. If you are using this chapter as a review, you may want to start off by answering the lesson quizzes to see how much you recall. Whichever quizzes you score lower on, take a closer look at those specific lessons. Remember that you can move around our site in any way that you want, because we want you to take control of your study sessions.
At the end of this health chapter, you should be prepared to do the following:
- Review the impact of stress on overall health
- Show the origins of stress
- Determine the changes and definition of General Adaptation Syndrome
- Establish the definition of chronic stress and associated health risks
- Outline attitudes and techniques for dealing with stress
1. Stress: Definition and Impact on Overall Health
Stress, distress, eustress: just thinking about those terms may make you stress out! Don't worry, this lesson will define them and show plenty of examples of them in a manner that will calm your mind!
2. Where Does Stress Come From?
Explore the wonderful world of all the things that cause us stress. From school and work to internal and interpersonal stressors, we'll define what stressors are and the many places they arise from in this lesson.
3. General Adaptation Syndrome: Definition, Phases & Changes
The general adaptation syndrome is a predictable series of phases related to stress. This lesson will explore some of the physiological and psychological changes associated with each phase.
4. Health Risks Associated with Chronic Stress
Chronic stress has been linked to a ton of problems for the body both psychologically and physiologically. We'll take a trip in this lesson to examine what these problems are - a trip you may never forget.
5. Coping With Stress: Techniques, Attitudes & Reducing Exposure
Work, school, and life in general have plenty of things that cause us a lot of stress. If you'd like to learn some techniques that help to deal with these problems, watch or read this lesson.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the Health 101: Principles of Health course
- Health and Wellness Fundamentals
- Psychosocial Disorders & Mental Health
- Drugs & Addictive Behavior
- Impact of Alcohol & Tobacco on Health
- Substance Use Risks & Disorders
- Healthy Platonic & Sexual Relationships
- Understanding Nutrition in Health
- Fitness & Weight in Personal Health
- Personal Health for Aging Populations
- Understanding Death & Bereavement
- Heart, Lung & Endocrine System Health
- Understanding Cancer Risks & Treatment
- Immune Disorders & Infections
- Understanding Diabetes & Genetic Disorders
- Environmental Health Basics
- Pollution & Environmental Issues
- Violence, Injury & Personal Safety
- Making Smart Health Care Choices
- Studying for Health 101