About This Chapter
Structure & Function of Skin - Chapter Summary
In this chapter on the structure and function of skin, brief lessons cover key topics that include the three main layers of your skin. Additionally, you will learn how different cells help blood vessels contract and relax. Upon completion of the chapter, you should be able to do the following:
- Describe the purpose and structure of human skin
- Explain the function of the integumentary system
- Recall the three layers that make up blood vessels
Subject-matter experts present the information in these lessons in a manner that ensures the material is easy to understand. If you find yourself struggling with a topic, you can use the Help feature to submit questions to instructors. A short quiz is available to test your knowledge of each lesson, and the quizzes can be printed as worksheets for offline studying.
1. Human Skin: Layers, Function & Structure
This lesson will cover the three main layers of your skin, which includes the epidermis, dermis, and subcutis. In addition, we'll learn about other skin cells and tissue, such as adipose tissue, keratinocytes, melanocytes, and Merkel's cells.
2. What is the Function of the Integumentary System?
In this lesson, we'll explore the function of the different parts of the integumentary system, which protects the body. We will look at how the skin and its accessory organs work together.
3. Blood Vessel Layers: Tunica Intima, Tunica Media & Tunica Adventitia
In this lesson, you will take a microscopic look at the three layers, or tunics, that make up your blood vessels. Follow along and learn how the different cells within these tunics help the vessels contract and relax as blood moves through your circulatory system.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the ICSE Biology: Study Guide & Syllabus course
- Microscopes Basics & Techniques
- Cell Structure Overview
- The Cell Cycle, Mitosis & Meiosis
- Basic Genetics Concepts
- Plant & Animal Biotechnology
- The Five Kingdoms of Living Organisms
- Plant Absorption & Transpiration
- Plant Respiration & Gas Exchange
- Plant Photosynthesis Processes
- Structure & Function of Flowering Plants
- Plant Pollination & Fertilization
- Animal Tissue: Structure & Function
- Macromolecules in Nutrition
- Digestive System Structure & Function
- Skeletal System Overview
- Respiratory System Overview
- Circulatory System Structure & Function
- Excretory System Overview
- Basics of the Nervous System
- Endocrine System Overview
- Human Reproduction & Development Basics
- Health Promotion & Disease Prevention
- Pathogenic Diseases in India
- Biotic & Abiotic Factors
- Population Growth & Control in India
- Types & Impact of Pollution
- Waste Generation & Management
- ICSE Biology Flashcards