About This Chapter
Student Diversity & Issues in School Counseling - Chapter Summary
Our subject-matter experts created these videos to improve your understanding of student diversity and issues in school counseling. You'll be able to learn about the effects of culture on education, socialization and culture shock. The lessons also examine the ramifications of divorce, blended families and family violence as well as look at parenting styles and how they impact different styles of learners.
Material discussed in this chapter includes:
- Biographical and demographical characteristics of individuals
- Stages of language development
- Effects of culture and environment on language development and education
- Impact of gender in social development
- Family system theory and family challenges
- Changing family patterns and associated issues
These videos are hosted by our expert instructors, and each includes a quiz at the end for self-assessment. For review, use the transcript or the video timeline tool. There is also an end-of-chapter test verify your understanding.
1. Individual Diversity: Biographical & Demographical Characteristics
Biological and demographic characteristics such as age, gender, race and length of tenure are easily acquired through work documents, and these characteristics can help predict how individuals will behave at work.
2. The Effect of Culture, Socialization & Culture Shock on Education
In this lesson we will explore the effect of culture on the socialization of children. We will also seek to understand the impact that culture has on their educational experiences.
3. Stages of Language Development: Pre-Linguistic and Symbolic Language
How does language expression emerge in children? Learn about the development of syntax in children through the pre-linguistic and linguistic stages of language development in this lesson.
4. The Effects of Environment and Culture on Language Development
Both environmental and cultural factors have an impact on early language development. This lesson will provide examples to consider and discuss possible reasons for this impact.
5. Understanding the Impact of Gender Differences in Social Development
How does one's gender impact behavior and interactions with others? Research has shown that men and women interact differently in social settings and society has ideas for what is appropriate male and female behavior.
6. Family System Theory: Definition and Changes Over Time
The term 'family' can have different definitions, such as a family of a mother, father, and children, or family units that consist of extended family members and friends. This lesson will define the family systems theory and explore various types of families, models of influence, and changing family trends.
7. Impact of Parenting Styles on Different Styles of Learners
When you got in trouble as a child, how did your parents react? This lesson covers four different parenting styles identified in educational psychology, including authoritarian, authoritative, indulgent, and neglecting. Typical results from each parenting style are discussed in terms of children's behaviors, as well as application of the styles in a classroom environment.
8. Family Challenges: Divorce, Blended Families & Family Violence
The following lesson covers some of the more challenging issues a growing number of families are currently facing, including divorce, blending of families, and abuse. A short quiz will follow the lesson to check your understanding.
9. Issues with Changing Family Patterns
Families have changed a great deal over time. In this lesson, we'll look at dual career, single parent, and blended families. We'll consider the unique issues each can present.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the Praxis Professional School Counselor (5421): Practice & Study Guide course
- The History & Role of School Counselors
- Understanding Human Growth & Development
- Theories of Identity Formation & Social Development
- Ethics & School Counseling
- Professional Development for School Counselors
- School and System Governance
- Legal Issues in School Counseling
- Guidance & Counseling Strategies for Schools
- Group Counseling
- Teaching Students About Career Development
- Instructional & Behavioral Management Strategies in Class
- Crisis Intervention for School Counselors
- Consultation in School Counseling
- Interventions & Accommodations in School Counseling
- Management in School Counseling
- Accountability in School Counseling
- Assessment Issues in School Counseling
- School Counseling & Student Outcomes
- Praxis Professional School Counselor Flashcards