About This Chapter
Studying for English 305: Advanced Technical Writing - Summary
Support your study of technical writing using the various tools within this chapter. These tools can help you memorize technical writing terms and processes, understand the practical application of these practices and more. You can use the flashcards, essay prompts and rubrics to ensure your understanding of the following topics:
- Pre-writing and writing technical documents
- Editing and rewriting
- The elements of technical writing
- Formal and informal technical reports
- Usability testing methods
- Business correspondence, reports and proposals
- Writing proposals and technical manuals
- Resume and cover letting writing
How They Work
These resources use different approaches to help you gain a better understanding of technical writing topics. To use the interactive flashcard sets, for instance, you would do the following:
- Open a flashcard set for the advanced technical writing topic you're studying.
- Identify the image, word, name or event on the flashcard.
- Click the button to flip the card and view the answer.
- Select whether you got it right or missed it to keep track of your progress.
- Click the Next arrow to proceed through the advanced technical writing flashcard set.
- Review the cards you missed or shuffle all cards back in and go through them again.
Technical Writing Overview Flashcards
A variety of technical writing takes place within a business. These flashcards will introduce you to the basics of technical writing as well as characteristics and examples of technical writing documents.
Prewriting for Technical Documents Flashcards
This set of flashcards will help you remember the important prewriting steps and processes for when you are preparing technical documents. Information on the types of documentation and adapting to your message and goal is included.
Writing Technical Documents Flashcards
Use this flashcard set to help you understand best practices when writing technical documentation. Whether it's in a real business setting or for a class, these cards cover the main topics discussed about technical writing.
Elements of Technical Documents Flashcards
The basic elements to writing technical documents are covered in these flashcards. Use this set to help improve your technical writing skills or to study for a test on the elements of technical documents.
Formal Technical Reports Flashcards
Access this set of flashcards when you're ready to review information about formal technical reports. You'll be able to go over recommendation reports and feasibility reports.
Business Reports & Proposals Flashcards
For those who have trouble with business reporting, this flashcard set can help you identify, define, and use key terms appropriately and help you study for tests involving business reporting.
Technical Reports & Business Correspondence Flashcards
These flashcards will help you review technical writing within a business. This includes informal reports, electronic communication, and business correspondences.
Technical Resumes & Cover Letters Flashcards
This flashcard set will review two key documents used in the job application process: the cover letter and the resume. They will also describe common correspondence documents used by job candidates and employers.
Creating Technical Instructions Flashcards
Use this flashcard set to gauge your understanding of writing technical instruction guides. This set covers basic aspects of pre-writing, writing, and editing a guide or manual with important considerations for each step.
Writing Technical Manuals Flashcards
This set of flashcards will help you understand the important details about writing technical manuals. This includes descriptions of different types of manuals, including print and electronic, as well as an explanation of the purpose technical manuals serve.
Writing Proposals Flashcards
Use this flashcard set to review the proposal writing process. Included in these flashcards are descriptions of the purpose, content, and structure of proposals.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 160 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the English 305: Advanced Technical Writing course
- Basics of Technical Writing
- Prewriting for Technical Documents
- Writing Technical Documents
- Technical Editing & Rewriting
- Elements of Technical Documents
- Usability Testing & Technical Writing
- Informal Technical Reports
- Formal Technical Reports
- Business Reports and Proposals
- Technical Correspondence
- Technical Writing in Business Correspondence
- Technical Resumes & Cover Letters
- Technical Instructions
- Writing Technical Manuals
- How to Write Proposals
- Required Assignments for English 305