About This Chapter
Studying for English 101 - Summary
Employ the use of flashcards to review English authors, literary eras and movements, literary terms and various fiction and nonfiction works. Writing prompts help you establish a deeper understanding of specific topics discussed in this chapter, and rubrics provide a guideline for structuring written work. These helpful resources are all designed to supplement your learning of the following:
- Literary terms for prose and poetry
- Literary analysis methods
- Old and Middle English literature
- Renaissance and Victorian literature
- Romantic prose and poetry
- 17th, 18th and turn-of-the-century literature
- Literary modernism
- Nonfiction works in English literature
How They Work
All of these resources allow you to focus on topics in English literature to help with a test or studying. To use the flashcard sets, you will:
- Open a flashcard set for the English literature topic you're studying.
- Identify the word, name or event on the flashcard.
- Click the button to flip the card and view the answer.
- Select whether you got it right or missed it to keep track of your progress.
- Click the Next arrow to proceed through the English literature flashcard set.
- Review the cards you missed or shuffle all cards back in and go through them again.
1. Evaluating Themes from English Literature Readings: Essay Prompts
Ready to practice what you've learned about English literature? This lesson includes five short-response prompts for you to use to apply your understanding of themes in English literature.
2. Evaluating & Analyzing 20th Century English Literature: Essay Prompts
Practice evaluating and analyzing turn-of-the-century and modernist literature with this lesson. Five short writing prompts are given to help you increase your skills in relation to these two chapters found in our English 101 course.
Old & Middle English Literature Flashcards
Refresh your understanding of important aspects of Old and Middle English with this flashcard set. The set includes dates and prominent works, and defines words that will help you better understand these languages and their importance.
The Renaissance in English Literature Flashcards
The following set of flashcards will help you review what the Renaissance was as well as famous works by English Renaissance authors. They will especially focus on the major works of William Shakespeare.
17th & 18th Century English Literature Flashcards
Use this flashcard set to study for an exam on literature on the 17th and 18th centuries. This set identifies famous authors and their major contributions, specifies eras and genres and includes definitions of literary terms.
Romantic Prose in English Literature Flashcards
Use this literature flashcard set to review common themes found in Romantic prose. Brush up on famous English authors of the period as well as the novels they wrote during this era.
Romantic Poetry in English Literature Flashcards
The following set of flashcards will help you review the themes and characteristics commonly found in Romantic poetry and famous poets and poems that were part of the movement.
Victorian Literature & 19th Century Authors Flashcards
This set of flashcards will help you learn about poets and authors of the Victorian era. Explore some of their famous works and characters, and study important vocabulary terms related to their writings.
Turn-of-the-Century Literature Flashcards
The following set of flashcards will help you review famous authors and the works of literature they published at the end of the 19th century and into the 20th century.
Modernism in English Literature Flashcards
This flashcard set includes key aspects and authors of the Modernist movement in British literature. Use this set to study for an exam on British literature in the early 1900s, including the major works and literary changes of this time.
Nonfiction in English Literature Flashcards
If you need to study for an exam on English non-fiction, you may find this flashcard set useful. This set covers the important authors, works, and philosophies that helped create and define English non-fiction writings.
Analyzing English Poetry & Prose Flashcards
This flashcard set can help you study for an exam on British poetry and prose. It includes key terms, examples, and aspects of literary analysis to help you ensure you have a solid understanding of the terms before putting them into practice.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 160 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 2,000 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the English 101: English Literature course
- Introduction to English Literature
- Literary Terms and Analysis
- Old and Middle English Literature
- The Renaissance in English Literature
- 17th and 18th Century English Literature
- Romantic Prose in English Literature
- Romantic Poetry in English Literature
- Victorian Literature
- Turn-of-the-Century Literature
- Modernism in English Literature
- Nonfiction in English Literature
- Analyzing English Literature
- Writing Literary Analysis Essays
- Required Assignments for English 101