About This Chapter
Studying Hans Christian Andersen - Chapter Summary
This chapter examines stories by the famous author Hans Christian Andersen. As you follow along with our expert literature instructors, you'll become familiar with the characters and plots of several stories, including 'The Snow Queen,' 'The Ice Maiden' and 'The Emperor's New Clothes.' The chapter is available to study any time that fits your schedule, and we've included plenty of self-assessment quizzes to help you solidify your comprehension of these classic stories. You can use any computer or mobile device to access the chapter material, and the lessons can be revisited as many times as needed. By the end of the chapter, you should be able to:
- Analyze 'The Red Shoes'
- Explain the moral of 'The Emperor's New Clothes'
- Name the characters from Andersen's 'The Snow Queen' and 'The Steadfast Tin Soldier'
- Summarize/analyze 'The Swineherd,' 'The Tinderbox' and 'The Shepherdess'
- Interpret 'The Wild Swans' and 'The Ice Maiden'
1. The Red Shoes by Hans Christian Andersen: Summary & Analysis
A little girl's vanity gets her trapped in shoes that won't let her stop dancing. What happens? Find out in this lesson, which will summarize and analyze Hans Christian Andersen's ~'The Red Shoes.~'
2. The Emperor's New Clothes: Summary & Moral
'The Emperor's New Clothes' is a short tale by Hans Christian Andersen. In this lesson, we will summarize the tale, examine the morals, and see how they still apply today.
3. The Snow Queen: Summary, Characters & Analysis
When shards of a magic mirror lodge in his eyes and heart, Kay becomes cold and the Snow Queen claims him as her own. But Gerda, with her power over animals and her true love for Kay, may yet be able to save him.
4. The Steadfast Tin Soldier: Summary & Characters
A tin soldier only has eyes for the ballerina, yet both meet a tragic end. In this lesson, we'll look at the Hans Christian Andersen tale, ''The Steadfast Tin Soldier,'' and a few of the tale's central characters.
5. The Swineherd: Summary & Analysis
A prince goes undercover to learn more about the princess he wants to marry. Find out what he learns, and what we learn in the process, in this summary and analysis of Hans Christian Andersen's 'The Swineherd'.
6. Hans Christian Andersen's The Tinderbox: Summary & Analysis
In this lesson, we will summarize Hans Christian Andersen's 'The Tinder-Box.' This is a fairy-tale about a soldier who is rewarded when he outsmarts a witch and a king.
7. The Wild Swans by Hans Christian Andersen
A sister helps her eleven swans (or brothers, rather) in the classic tale, ''The Wild Swans'' by Hans Christian Andersen. In this lesson, we'll break down the short story.
8. The Ice Maiden by Hans Christian Andersen
When the Ice Maiden claims someone as her own, she will come and collect, even if it takes her years to do so, and even if she ruins all the plans a happy couple has made. This lesson looks at Hans Christian Andersen's story 'The Ice Maiden.'
9. The Shepherdess and the Chimney Sweep: Summary & Analysis
Hans Christian Andersen wrote many fairy tales, including 'The Shepherdess and the Chimney Sweep'. In this lesson we will summarize and analyze this story.
10. The Fir-Tree by Hans Christian Andersen: Summary & Analysis
As the fir tree learns in Hans Christian Andersen's fairy tale 'The Fir Tree', we miss out when we focus on what we don't have instead of enjoying what we do. Find out this fir tree's story and its meaning.
11. The Little Match Seller: Summary & Characters
This lesson provides a summary and an overview of the characters in Hans Christian Andersen's famous and heartbreaking 1845 short story 'The Little Match Seller'.
12. The Little Match Seller: Analysis, Theme & Moral
Have you ever felt invisible? Have you ever felt alone on a freezing wintry night? If so, you might sympathize with the main character in ''The Little Match Seller.'' Get a short summary as well as an analysis of the main themes and morals in Hans Christian Andersen's classic 1848 short story.
13. The Little Mermaid Quotes
This lesson retells Hans Christian Andersen's fairy tale, 'The Little Mermaid' through eloquent quotes from the actual text. You will learn about the characters, plot, and the conflict in Andersen's tragic tale of love and loss.
14. The Nightingale by Hans Christian Andersen Summary
Everyone loves the fair songbird until an impostor shows up. Hans Christian Andersen's 'The Nightingale' tells the tale of a nightingale that enchants a kingdom. In this lesson, we'll summarize the story.
15. The Nightingale by Hans Christian Andersen: Theme, Meaning & Analysis
''The Nightingale'' is a fairy-tale written by Hans Christian Andersen about the power of music. This lesson will look at the underlying meaning of the story and its literary themes.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the Fairy Tales & Fables: Study Guide & Homework Help course
- Studying Rumpelstiltskin
- Studying The Princess & The Pea
- Studying Thumbelina
- Studying Rapunzel
- Studying The Tortoise & the Hare
- Studying The Little Mermaid
- Studying The Fox & The Crow
- Studying The Ant & The Grasshopper
- Studying The Little Match Girl
- Studying The Twelve Dancing Princesses
- Early Fables & Fairy Tales
- Russian Fairy Tales & Folklore
- Studying Little Red Riding Hood