About This Chapter
Who's It For?
Anyone who needs help understanding Oscar Wilde's The Canterville Ghost will benefit from the lessons in this chapter. There is no faster or easier way to learn about this particular Oscar Wilde book. Among those who would benefit are:
- Students who have fallen behind in understanding the literary elements of The Canterville Ghost
- Students who struggle with learning disabilities or learning differences, including autism and ADHD
- Students who prefer multiple ways of learning about literature (visual or auditory)
- Students who have missed class time and need to catch up
- Students who need an efficient way to learn about The Canterville Ghost
- Students who struggle to understand their teachers
- Students who attend schools without extra literature learning resources
How It Works:
- Find lessons in our course that cover what you need to learn or review.
- Watch the video or read through the text lesson.
- Refer to the transcripts or specific lesson sections to reinforce your learning.
- Test your understanding of each lesson with short quizzes.
- Verify you're ready by completing the Studying The Canterville Ghost chapter exam.
Why It Works:
- Study Efficiently: Skip what you know, review what you don't.
- Retain What You Learn: Engaging animations and real-life examples make topics easy to grasp.
- Be Ready on Test Day: Use the Studying The Canterville Ghost chapter exam to be prepared.
- Get Extra Support: Ask our subject-matter experts any literature question. They're here to help!
- Study With Flexibility: Watch videos and read text lessons on any web-ready device.
Students Will Review:
This chapter helps students review the concepts from The Canterville Ghost unit of a standard literature course. Topics covered include:
- The Canterville Ghost summary and genre
- Analysis of the story's introduction and conclusion
- The novel's characters, setting and theme
- The role of Virginia Otis
- Comprehensive chapter summaries
- The Canterville Ghost literary analysis and criticism
1. The Canterville Ghost by Oscar Wilde: Summary & Genre
'The Canterville Ghost' by Oscar Wilde is a light-hearted novella that parodies gothic horror as well as cultural differences between the United States and the United Kingdom. We'll summarize this fun, entertaining tale and learn more about its genre.
2. The Canterville Ghost: Introduction & Conclusion
In Oscar Wilde's 'The Canterville Ghost,' the introduction and conclusion serve as bookends to the story. The Otis family appears as a brash and arrogant American family, and the conclusion shows how appearances can be deceiving.
3. Themes of The Canterville Ghost
In this lesson, we will dig up some of the more prominent themes found in Oscar Wilde's 'The Canterbury Ghost', a humorous, albeit thoughtful, short story.
4. The Canterville Ghost Chapter 1 Summary
If you are reading 'The Canterville Ghost' by Oscar Wilde, you might be wondering what the first chapter is all about. In this lesson, we will follow along as the main characters are introduced and as they experience the haunted house.
5. The Canterville Ghost Chapter 6 Summary
Chapter 6 of 'The Canterville Ghost' is packed with action and mystery. Virginia goes missing, and family members search high and low with no luck. Will they find her? Will the ghost chill out? Read on to get the answers.
6. Virginia Otis in The Canterville Ghost
Virginia Otis is the only daughter in the Otis family and the heroine in this story. We will explore what role she plays in the story and what kind of person she is.
7. The Canterville Ghost Characters & Setting
Oscar Wilde uses a highly conventional setting for his comic ghost story 'The Canterville Ghost:' an old English manor. We'll take a closer look at the setting and the characters of this riotous novella in this lesson.
8. The Canterville Ghost Critical Appreciation, Criticism & Analysis
Written by the famous English author Oscar Wilde, 'The Canterville Ghost' is a humorous look at the antics of a ghost trying to get the attention of an American family living abroad. This lesson will look at some ways to analyze and appreciate the story.
9. The Canterville Ghost Chapter 3 Summary
In Chapter Three of 'The Canterville Ghost', the family continues to deal with the ghost as he tries and fails to scare them. In this lesson, find out what happens when he puts his plans into action.
10. The Canterville Ghost Chapter 2 Summary
If you are reading 'The Canterville Ghost', you may have noticed that Chapter Two is where we first learn of the ghost's true nature. In this lesson, we'll take a look at the important events from the chapter.
11. The Canterville Ghost Chapter 5 Summary
If you're reading Oscar Wilde's 'The Canterville Ghost,' you might be wondering what the devil just happened in Chapter 5. Don't worry, we've got you covered! In this lesson, we'll take a look at what goes down between Virginia and the ghost.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.