About This Chapter
Studying The Little Mermaid - Chapter Summary
In these engaging lessons, our instructors explain the origin, setting and themes of the classic fairy tale, The Little Mermaid. You can review this chapter on your mobile phone or tablet in order to study any time you'd like. Each lesson is followed by a short, multiple-choice quiz that can help you prepare for a test or make sure you understood what you've just learned in the lesson. If you still have questions, contact one of our instructors for some help. Once you complete this chapter, you should be able to:
- Discuss the origins and the storyline of The Little Mermaid
- Explain the setting of the story
- Identify the important characters in The Little Mermaid
- Analyze themes presented in the fairy tale
1. The Little Mermaid: Origin & Story Summary
The story ''The Little Mermaid'' originates from Danish writer Hans Christian Andersen. In this lesson, we'll look at the original story's summary and background.
2. The Little Mermaid Setting
This lesson will present the details of setting in 'The Little Mermaid' by Hans Christian Andersen. We will explore how Andersen constructs the surroundings of this fairy tale to reveal characters and their conflicts.
3. The Little Mermaid Characters
''The Little Mermaid'', a fairy tale by Hans Christian Andersen, is filled with dramatic and interesting characters. In this lesson, you will learn who they are and how they are intertwined with each other in the story.
4. The Little Mermaid: Themes & Analysis
This lesson explores Hans Christian Andersen's fairytale, 'The Little Mermaid.' The lesson also examines and analyzes key themes within the short story and discusses the its significance in relation to the author and the time of its writing.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the Fairy Tales & Fables: Study Guide & Homework Help course
- Studying Rumpelstiltskin
- Studying The Princess & The Pea
- Studying Thumbelina
- Studying Rapunzel
- Studying The Tortoise & the Hare
- Studying The Fox & The Crow
- Studying The Ant & The Grasshopper
- Studying The Little Match Girl
- Studying The Twelve Dancing Princesses
- Early Fables & Fairy Tales
- Studying Hans Christian Andersen
- Russian Fairy Tales & Folklore
- Studying Little Red Riding Hood