About This Chapter
Subject-Specific Teaching Strategies - Chapter Summary
If you are looking for a resource that offers a quality overview of subject-specific teaching strategies, you've reached the right place! This chapter closely examines strategies for comprehension monitoring, teaching critical-thinking skills and much more. Studying our engaging lessons will enable you to do the following:
- Identify and discuss strategies for reading comprehension and comprehension monitoring
- Explain ways educators can teach questioning techniques to improve reading comprehension
- Define and list types of graphic organizers
- Share strategies for teaching critical-thinking and listening skills
- List activities, sports and games that can promote motor learning
- Discuss five steps for teaching children to make healthy life choices
This chapter is available around the clock, enabling you to study subject-specific teaching strategies anytime your schedule permits. Review the lessons in any order and as often as you'd like via computer or a mobile device with Internet access. When ready, check your comprehension of the lessons you study by taking accompanying multiple-choice quizzes. The Dashboard tracks your progress and enables you to submit questions about specific lesson topics to our experts.
1. Teaching Questioning Techniques for Reading Comprehension
Students who know how to ask good questions can quickly grow their own comprehension abilities. In this lesson, you'll learn some techniques for teaching students how to ask questions that boost their own comprehension.
2. Graphic Organizer: Definition, Types & Examples
In this lesson, delve into the world of graphic organizers and gain an understanding of the definition and varieties. You'll also view examples of how they can be applied to foster a myriad of educational objectives.
3. Teaching Critical Thinking Skills
Critical thinking is one of the most important habits a student can learn. This lesson helps you figure out what critical thinking skills are and how you can help your students develop them.
4. Teaching Listening Skills to Children
Sometimes it seems like children just won't listen! Maybe they simply don't have the skills yet. This lesson will give you some strategies for teaching your students to listen.
5. Promoting Motor Learning With Activities, Sports & Games
In this lesson, we review ways to promote motor learning. We discuss activities, sports, and games that improve motor learning, and we discuss certain patterns and behaviors.
6. Teaching Children to Make Healthy Life Choices
Healthy life choices are important, but how can we teach children to do this? In this lesson, we'll go over five steps to teaching healthy choices and see how they can be applied.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the FTCE Prekindergarten/Primary PK-3 (053): Practice & Study Guide course
- Early Childhood Growth & Development
- External Factors in Childhood Development
- Developmental Theories of Learning
- Early Childhood Education Models
- Federal & State Laws on Education
- Early Childhood Education Professional Organizations & Trends
- Planning & Facilitating Early Learning
- Developmentally Appropriate Practices & the Classroom
- Student Guidance & Behavioral Management
- Using Assessment & Evaluation in Teaching
- Utilizing Technology in the Classroom
- Family & Community Involvement in Early Education
- Serving the Educational Needs of Diverse Populations
- Literacy Instruction in the Classroom
- Emergent Literacy in the Classroom
- Literacy in Early Education
- Teaching Comprehension & Vocabulary
- Writing Processes & Development
- Early Childhood Mathematics Instruction
- Early Childhood Math Concepts
- Early Childhood Science Instruction
- Basics of Physical & Earth Sciences
- Basic Concepts in Life Science
- FTCE Prekindergarten/Primary PK-3 Flashcards