About This Chapter
Subject-Verb Agreement - Chapter Summary
Subject-verb agreement can be tricky. This chapter's video lessons help you strengthen your skills in matching the correct verb with the right subject. Instructors explain how to handle cases of complex subject-verb agreement, such as sentences with uncommon nouns or compound subjects. You'll also review verb tense and practice picking out errors in agreement. After watching the videos in the chapter, you should be prepared to:
- Ensure agreement between verbs and uncommon nouns and pronouns
- Pick out subject-verb agreement errors in sentences
- Use proper subject-verb agreement in sentences with inverted word order and interrupting phrases
- Select verbs that agree with compound subjects
- Ensure subjects, verbs and verb tense are in agreement
- Identify verb tense mistakes in sentences
Our professional instructors and video lessons make learning fun and convenient. The videos, which are usually under 10 minutes in length, contain tags so that you can go back and review examples as desired. In addition, the lessons include transcripts that often have links to text lessons with more information about important terms. Once you've studied, you can test your subject-verb agreement knowledge by taking the multiple-choice lesson quizzes.
1. Subject-Verb Agreement: Using Uncommon Singular and Plural Nouns and Pronouns
Subject-verb agreement is a tricky beast. Learn which uncommon singular and plural nouns and pronouns are most likely to trip you up when trying to craft essays with good grammar.
2. Identifying Subject-Verb Agreement Errors
It's important that the subject and verb in every sentence agree in number. While it's often easy to make this happen, there are a few situations in which it can be tricky to achieve subject-verb agreement. This lesson explains how you can be sure to pair the right verb with a subject.
3. Complex Subject-Verb Agreement: Inverted Order, Compound Subjects & Interrupting Phrases
Learn how subject-verb agreement is essential to written language. Three common problems with subject-verb agreement are discussed with tips for avoiding the most common errors.
4. Verb Tense & Subject-Verb Agreement
Learn all about verb tense and subject-verb agreement in our first lesson on this tricky topic. We'll look at examples to help you understand this concept.
5. Identifying Errors of Verb Tense
In order to identify verb tense errors, you'll need to learn about the six verb tenses and how they differ. Once you know how to look for them, problematic shifts in verb tenses can be spotted and avoided easily.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.