About This Chapter
Substance Abuse & Addiction - Chapter Summary
Our chapter starts with a discussion of addiction, addictive behaviors, and the distinction between misuse and abuse. Our instructors next move on to the distinctions between addiction, habit, impulse, and obsession. Also covered are the causes of substance disorders and the following topics:
- Dependence on depressants, stimulants, and hallucinogens
- Cannabis dependence
- The combination of substances
- Treatment of substance-related disorders
These engaging lessons feature videos that usually last less than ten minutes. Each video comes with a lesson transcript and a topic-searchable video timeline. The lesson quizzes can help you ensure mastery of the material, and our instructors are also available to answer your questions via the system interface.
1. Addiction and Addictive Behaviors: Types & Warning Signs
This lesson will define addiction and addictive behavior in addition to taking a look at what addictive behaviors have in common and what things to look out for in a potential addict.
2. From Misuse to Abuse: Distinction & Effects
This lesson will differentiate drug misuse and abuse. You will also learn how the central nervous system is affected by drugs and what other effects drugs have upon the body.
3. Addiction: Not The Same As Habit, Impulse, or Obsession
This lesson will discuss the definitions of addiction, habit, obsession, compulsion, and impulse, giving several examples of each category and how they may overlap with one another.
4. Substance Use, Abuse, and Dependence: Definition and Causes of Substance Disorders
Substance use, abuse, and dependence are often confused with each other. In this lesson, we'll look at the differences between the three and common causes of addiction.
5. Dependence on Depressants: Alcohol, Sedative-Hypnotic Drugs and Opioids
Addiction to depressants, like alcohol, sedatives, and opioids, comes with many problems. In this lesson, we'll look at those three types of depressants, their side effects, and the treatment for dependence.
6. Stimulant Dependence: Amphetamines and Cocaine
Many people take stimulants like caffeine in small doses every day. But what happens when someone becomes dependent on stimulants? In this lesson, we'll look at the effects of stimulants, including two commonly abused stimulants, cocaine and amphetamines.
7. Dependence on Hallucinogens: Definition and Examples
For centuries, people have taken hallucinogens. But what are the dangers? In this lesson, we'll look at hallucinogens more closely, including the history, side effects, and treatment of hallucinogenic dependence.
8. Understanding Cannabis Dependence: Facts and Myths
There are many myths about cannabis - or marijuana - use and dependence. In this lesson, we'll look at the medicinal benefits of cannabis, as well as the dangers of cannabis use.
9. Combining Substances: An Examination of Substance Abuse
Some people take different types of substances at the same time in order to get a better high or by accident. In this lesson, we'll look at why people combine substances, commonly combined substances, and the dangerous side effects.
10. Treating Substance-Related Disorders: Biological, Behavioral and Psychodynamic Approaches
Millions of people suffer from alcohol and drug addiction. How do people get over addiction? In this lesson, we'll look at four different approaches to substance use treatment.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the TExES Health EC-12 (157): Practice & Study Guide course
- Human Body Systems
- Maintaining Healthy Body Systems
- Prenatal and Human Development
- Nutritional Disorders
- Physical Fitness
- Communicable Diseases
- Noncommunicable Diseases
- Understanding the Immune System
- Emotional & Mental Health
- Families & Family Issues
- Health & Healthy Relationships
- Sexuality & Health
- Contraception and Family Planning
- Safety, Accidents & Emergencies
- Alcohol, Tobacco & Other Drugs
- Community & Environmental Health
- Health Skills & Resources
- Health-Related Products & Services
- Health Education
- TExES Health EC-12 Flashcards