About This Chapter
Substance Dependence Disorders - Chapter Summary
This chapter looks into several kinds of substance dependence disorders. You'll review what distinguishes these disorders as well as their possible causes and methods of treatment. By the end of the chapter, you'll have strengthened your understanding of:
- Dependence on depressants and stimulants
- Facts and myths of cannabis dependence
- Dependence on hallucinogens
- Substance abuse involving combined substances
- Biological, behavioral and psychodynamic approaches to treating substance abuse
These lessons come with both a video and transcript of the material, enabling you to process the content in the way you learn best. The transcripts are full of bolded words pointing out key terms and concepts, while the timeline feature beneath every video allows you to jump around main points of the lesson at your discretion.
1. Substance Use, Abuse, and Dependence: Definition and Causes of Substance Disorders
Substance use, abuse, and dependence are often confused with each other. In this lesson, we'll look at the differences between the three and common causes of addiction.
2. Dependence on Depressants: Alcohol, Sedative-Hypnotic Drugs and Opioids
Addiction to depressants, like alcohol, sedatives, and opioids, comes with many problems. In this lesson, we'll look at those three types of depressants, their side effects, and the treatment for dependence.
3. Stimulant Dependence: Amphetamines and Cocaine
Many people take stimulants like caffeine in small doses every day. But what happens when someone becomes dependent on stimulants? In this lesson, we'll look at the effects of stimulants, including two commonly abused stimulants, cocaine and amphetamines.
4. Dependence on Hallucinogens: Definition and Examples
For centuries, people have taken hallucinogens. But what are the dangers? In this lesson, we'll look at hallucinogens more closely, including the history, side effects, and treatment of hallucinogenic dependence.
5. Understanding Cannabis Dependence: Facts and Myths
There are many myths about cannabis - or marijuana - use and dependence. In this lesson, we'll look at the medicinal benefits of cannabis, as well as the dangers of cannabis use.
6. Combining Substances: An Examination of Substance Abuse
Some people take different types of substances at the same time in order to get a better high or by accident. In this lesson, we'll look at why people combine substances, commonly combined substances, and the dangerous side effects.
7. Treating Substance-Related Disorders: Biological, Behavioral and Psychodynamic Approaches
Millions of people suffer from alcohol and drug addiction. How do people get over addiction? In this lesson, we'll look at four different approaches to substance use treatment.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the NCLEX-RN Study Guide & Practice course
- The Profession of Nursing
- Legal Aspects of Nursing
- Nursing Communication & Patient Rights
- Communication & Interpersonal Relations in Nursing
- Safety & Security in Nursing
- Infection Control & Sterilization
- The Aging Process
- Pregnancy & Newborn Care
- Understanding Human Development
- Disease Prevention & Health Screening
- Healthy Lifestyle Choices
- Physical Assessment Techniques
- Recognizing Abuse & Neglect
- Addictive Behaviors and Drug Use
- Crisis Situations & Intervention
- End of Life Care
- Mental Health Concepts
- Religious & Spiritual Influences on Health
- Sensory & Perceptual Development
- Stress Management and Coping Mechanisms
- Health Care Support Systems
- Understanding Elimination in Nursing
- Assistive Devices & Mobility
- Hygiene for Nurses
- Understanding Rest & Sleep for Nurses
- Medication Administration & Nursing
- Understanding Pain & Pain Management for Nurses
- Nutrition Essentials for Nursing
- Clinical Test Results - Cells and Blood Proteins: Help and Review
- Diagnostics, Testing & Procedures for Nursing
- Alterations of the Musculoskeletal System
- Fluid & Electrolyte Balance Concerns in Nursing
- Understanding Oxygenation in Nursing
- Illness Management for Nurses
- Medical Emergencies for Nurses
- The Basic Components of Pathophysiology
- NCLEX-RN Flashcards