About This Chapter
Substance Use, Abuse and Dependence - Chapter Summary
In this chapter, our instructors explain the relationship between substance use and abuse and the causes of each. You will be introduced to substance dependence, its symptoms and treatment. This chapter will discuss the physical consequences of drug abuse and how these can be treated.
You'll learn how the misuse of substances can turn into abuse and how substance use affects health and chronic conditions. After completing this chapter, you should be able to:
- Define and distinguish among different levels of substance use from ranging from misuse to abuse
- Examine treatment options for substance dependence
- Recognize the physical effects of drug abuse on health and the long-term consequences
- Describe the effects of substance abuse on the central nervous system
- Identify the chronic conditions associated with use of illegal substances
The course utilizes brief and engaging video lessons to make the learning process as straightforward as possible. In addition to the video lessons, taught by instructors who are subject matter experts in their field, you'll find self-assessment quizzes and lesson transcripts to accompany them. Video tags are available that can take you quickly and easily to the portions of the videos you wish to review.
1. Substance Use, Abuse, and Dependence: Definition and Causes of Substance Disorders
Substance use, abuse, and dependence are often confused with each other. In this lesson, we'll look at the differences between the three and common causes of addiction.
2. Drug Abuse: Physical Consequences and Treatment
The kidneys, heart, lungs, and skin are all affected by drug use, sometimes severely so. You'll learn how and also the many different ways by which a person can be treated for substance abuse in this lesson.
3. Substance Dependence: Definition, Treatment & Symptoms
In this lesson, you will learn what substance dependence is, what it looks like, and how it is commonly treated. You will also learn the DSM-IV criteria that define substance dependence.
4. From Misuse to Abuse: Distinction & Effects
This lesson will differentiate drug misuse and abuse. You will also learn how the central nervous system is affected by drugs and what other effects drugs have upon the body.
5. How Substance Use Affects Health and Chronic Conditions
While not every substance and every chronic condition can be covered in a single lesson, we attempt to look at the most common types (alcohol and smoking), as well as some generalizations about illegal substances.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the ILTS Health Education (211): Test Practice and Study Guide course
- Overview of the Human Body
- Human Development
- Childhood Growth and Development
- Adolescent Growth and Development
- Adult Growth and Development
- Carbohydrates in Nutrition
- Lipids in Nutrition
- Protein in Nutrition
- Water as a Nutrient
- Minerals in Health & Nutrition
- Mineral Deficiency & Toxicity in the Body
- Vitamins in Nutrition
- Principles of Nutritional Health
- Emotional and Mental Health
- Safety and Injury Prevention Strategies
- Physical Fitness Benefits
- Human Sexuality
- Family and Social Systems
- Dealing with Negative Social Behavior
- Public Health Emphasis
- Health Risk Factors
- Health Information Resources
- Media & Advertising in Health Information
- Health Care Delivery Systems
- Medical Emergency Care
- Health Education Programs
- Planning & Implementing Health Education Programs
- Evaluating Health Education Programs
- ILTS Health Education Flashcards