About This Chapter
How it works:
- Identify which concepts are covered on your substance use disorders homework.
- Find videos on those topics within this chapter.
- Watch fun videos, pausing and reviewing as needed.
- Complete sample problems and get instant feedback.
- Finish your substance use disorders homework with ease!
Topics from your homework you'll be able to complete:
- Definitions of substance use, abuse and addiction
- Causes of substance use disorders
- Depressant dependencies
- Stimulant dependencies
- Hallucinogenic dependencies
- Cannabis use
- Combined use of substances
- Treatment approaches
1. Substance Use, Abuse, and Dependence: Definition and Causes of Substance Disorders
Substance use, abuse, and dependence are often confused with each other. In this lesson, we'll look at the differences between the three and common causes of addiction.
2. Dependence on Depressants: Alcohol, Sedative-Hypnotic Drugs and Opioids
Addiction to depressants, like alcohol, sedatives, and opioids, comes with many problems. In this lesson, we'll look at those three types of depressants, their side effects, and the treatment for dependence.
3. Stimulant Dependence: Amphetamines and Cocaine
Many people take stimulants like caffeine in small doses every day. But what happens when someone becomes dependent on stimulants? In this lesson, we'll look at the effects of stimulants, including two commonly abused stimulants, cocaine and amphetamines.
4. Dependence on Hallucinogens: Definition and Examples
For centuries, people have taken hallucinogens. But what are the dangers? In this lesson, we'll look at hallucinogens more closely, including the history, side effects, and treatment of hallucinogenic dependence.
5. Understanding Cannabis Dependence: Facts and Myths
There are many myths about cannabis - or marijuana - use and dependence. In this lesson, we'll look at the medicinal benefits of cannabis, as well as the dangers of cannabis use.
6. Combining Substances: An Examination of Substance Abuse
Some people take different types of substances at the same time in order to get a better high or by accident. In this lesson, we'll look at why people combine substances, commonly combined substances, and the dangerous side effects.
7. Treating Substance-Related Disorders: Biological, Behavioral and Psychodynamic Approaches
Millions of people suffer from alcohol and drug addiction. How do people get over addiction? In this lesson, we'll look at four different approaches to substance use treatment.
8. What Are Stimulants? - Definition, Types & Examples
In this lesson, we will learn all about the class of drugs known as stimulants. Explore the different kinds of stimulants, how they are used in the medical field, and how they influence the central nervous system.
9. Substance Dependence: Definition, Treatment & Symptoms
In this lesson, you will learn what substance dependence is, what it looks like, and how it is commonly treated. You will also learn the DSM-IV criteria that define substance dependence.
10. What Are Cognitive Enhancers?
This lesson will go over cognitive enhancers, or substances meant to increase mental focus, concentration, and cognitive performance. We'll talk about two different types of cognitive enhancers: nootropics and smart drugs.
11. Alcoholism & Low Self-Esteem
This lesson will define alcoholism and examine the connection between alcoholism and the development of low self-esteem. We'll also explore how the two are intertwined for those going through recovery.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the Abnormal Psychology: Homework Help Resource course
- Introduction to Abnormal Psychology: Homework Help
- Research Methods in Abnormal Psychology: Homework Help
- Clinical Research of Abnormal Psychology: Homework Help
- The Biological Model of Abnormality: Homework Help
- The Psychodynamic Model of Abnormal Behavior: Homework Help
- The Behavioral/Learning Model of Abnormal Behavior: Homework Help
- The Cognitive Model of Abnormal Behavior: Homework Help
- Homework Help for the Humanistic-Existential Model of Abnormal Behavior
- The Sociocultural Model of Abnormal Behavior: Homework Help
- The Diathesis-Stress Model: Homework Help
- Clinical Assessment: Homework Help
- Introduction to Anxiety Disorders: Homework Help
- Mood Disorders of Abnormal Psychology: Homework Help
- Stress Disorders: Homework Help
- Somatoform Disorders in Abnormal Psychology: Homework Help
- Dissociative Disorders in Psychology: Homework Help
- Eating Disorders in Abnormal Psychology: Homework Help
- Sexual and Gender Identity Disorders: Homework Help
- Psychotic Disorders: Homework Help
- Cognitive Disorders in Abnormal Psychology: Homework Help
- Life-Span Development Disorders: Homework Help
- Personality Disorders in Abnormal Psychology: Homework Help
- Factitious Disorders: Homework Help
- Treatment in Abnormal Psychology: Homework Help
- Legal and Ethical Issues in Abnormal Psychology: Homework Help