About This Chapter
How it works:
- Begin your assignment or other abnormal psychology work.
- Identify the substance use disorders concepts that you're stuck on.
- Find fun videos on the topics you need to understand.
- Press play, watch and learn!
- Complete the quizzes to test your understanding.
- As needed, submit a question to one of our instructors for personalized support.
Who's it for?
This chapter of our abnormal psychology tutoring solution will benefit any student who is trying to learn about substance use disorders and earn better grades. This resource can help students including those who:
- Struggle with understanding substance use, abuse, dependence, treatment options or any other substance use disorders topic
- Have limited time for studying
- Want a cost effective way to supplement their psychology learning
- Prefer learning psychology visually
- Find themselves failing or close to failing their substance use disorders unit
- Cope with ADD or ADHD
- Want to get ahead in abnormal psychology
- Don't have access to their psychology teacher outside of class
Why it works:
- Engaging Tutors: We make learning about substance use disorders simple and fun.
- Cost Efficient: For less than 20% of the cost of a private tutor, you'll have unlimited access 24/7.
- Consistent High Quality: Unlike a live abnormal psychology tutor, these video lessons are thoroughly reviewed.
- Convenient: Imagine a tutor as portable as your laptop, tablet or smartphone. Learn about substance use disorders on the go!
- Learn at Your Pace: You can pause and rewatch lessons as often as you'd like, until you master the material.
- Differentiate between substance use, dependency and abuse.
- Examine dependence on depressants, such as alcohol, opioids and sedative-hypnotic drugs.
- Take a look at dependence on stimulants, such as cocaine and amphetamines.
- Learn about the effects and treatment of hallucinogen dependence.
- Discuss the facts and myths of cannabis dependence.
- Understand why people sometimes combine substances.
- Explore the different approaches to treating substance-related disorders.
1. Substance Use, Abuse, and Dependence: Definition and Causes of Substance Disorders
Substance use, abuse, and dependence are often confused with each other. In this lesson, we'll look at the differences between the three and common causes of addiction.
2. Dependence on Depressants: Alcohol, Sedative-Hypnotic Drugs and Opioids
Addiction to depressants, like alcohol, sedatives, and opioids, comes with many problems. In this lesson, we'll look at those three types of depressants, their side effects, and the treatment for dependence.
3. Stimulant Dependence: Amphetamines and Cocaine
Many people take stimulants like caffeine in small doses every day. But what happens when someone becomes dependent on stimulants? In this lesson, we'll look at the effects of stimulants, including two commonly abused stimulants, cocaine and amphetamines.
4. Dependence on Hallucinogens: Definition and Examples
For centuries, people have taken hallucinogens. But what are the dangers? In this lesson, we'll look at hallucinogens more closely, including the history, side effects, and treatment of hallucinogenic dependence.
5. Understanding Cannabis Dependence: Facts and Myths
There are many myths about cannabis - or marijuana - use and dependence. In this lesson, we'll look at the medicinal benefits of cannabis, as well as the dangers of cannabis use.
6. Combining Substances: An Examination of Substance Abuse
Some people take different types of substances at the same time in order to get a better high or by accident. In this lesson, we'll look at why people combine substances, commonly combined substances, and the dangerous side effects.
7. Treating Substance-Related Disorders: Biological, Behavioral and Psychodynamic Approaches
Millions of people suffer from alcohol and drug addiction. How do people get over addiction? In this lesson, we'll look at four different approaches to substance use treatment.
8. What Is Delirium Tremens? - Symptoms, Treatment & Definition
Delirium tremens is a medical condition caused by complications from alcohol withdrawal. In this lesson you will learn about delirium tremens, including the symptoms and treatment of this withdrawal syndrome. Afterward, you may test your knowledge with a quiz.
9. What is Wernicke-Korsakoff Syndrome? - Symptoms & Treatment
Did you know that Wernicke-Korsakoff syndrome is most commonly caused by the extended and heavy use of alcohol? Learn more about Wernicke-Korsakoff syndrome from this lesson and then test your knowledge with a quiz.
10. Preventing Binge Drinking on College Campuses
In this lesson, you will learn about the prevalence of binge drinking on college campuses. You will also be introduced to strategies that can help reduce the incidents of binge drinking in this environment.
11. College Drinking: Statistics & Facts
This lesson goes over alcohol use on college campuses, examining some statistics and facts about the use of alcohol by students. We'll also talk about some of the dangers and consequences of drinking too much.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 160 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the Abnormal Psychology: Tutoring Solution course
- Introduction to Abnormal Psychology: Tutoring Solution
- Research Methods in Abnormal Psychology: Tutoring Solution
- Clinical Research of Abnormal Psychology: Tutoring Solution
- The Biological Model of Abnormality: Tutoring Solution
- The Psychodynamic Model of Abnormal Behavior: Tutoring Solution
- The Behavioral/Learning Model of Abnormal Behavior: Tutoring Solution
- The Cognitive Model of Abnormal Behavior: Tutoring Solution
- The Humanistic-Existential Model of Abnormal Behavior: Tutoring Solution
- The Sociocultural Model of Abnormal Behavior: Tutoring Solution
- The Diathesis-Stress Model: Tutoring Solution
- Clinical Assessment: Tutoring Solution
- Introduction to Anxiety Disorders: Tutoring Solution
- Mood Disorders of Abnormal Psychology: Tutoring Solution
- Stress Disorders: Tutoring Solution
- Somatoform Disorders in Abnormal Psychology: Tutoring Solution
- Dissociative Disorders in Psychology: Tutoring Solution
- Eating Disorders in Abnormal Psychology: Tutoring Solution
- Sexual and Gender Identity Disorders: Tutoring Solution
- Psychotic Disorders: Tutoring Solution
- Cognitive Disorders in Abnormal Psychology: Tutoring Solution
- Life-Span Development Disorders: Tutoring Solution
- Personality Disorders in Abnormal Psychology: Tutoring Solution
- Factitious Disorders: Tutoring Solution
- Treatment in Abnormal Psychology: Tutoring Solution
- Legal and Ethical Issues in Abnormal Psychology: Tutoring Solution