About This Chapter
Success & Challenges of Teams in a Virtual Environment - Chapter Summary
Fifty years ago, who would have dreamed it would be possible for one office to have its entire staff coming to work every day from far away cities, states, or even different countries? Telecommuting has made this possible, and nowadays, many organizations, offices and work teams are going partially or fully virtual. The advantages to working remotely are numerous, but as one can expect, the virtual environment also presents its own unique set of challenges. This chapter, aimed at managerial employees, covers the issues that one can expect when assembling and working with a virtual team, as well as how to make the most out of this exciting setting. Learn about:
- The known habits of successful virtual teams
- Challenges and expectations faced by virtual employees
- How to foster success in a blended (virtual and local office) environment
- International and multicultural teaming
These quick but detailed lessons not only inform employees about these topics, but they also provide interactive activities and suggestions that can be applied to real life scenarios. Quizzes are also included for extra practice and review, as well as to ensure understanding of the material.
How It Helps
- Improves morale: While convenient, remote work can be challenging. These lessons give practical advice on how to keep the environment positive and effective.
- Promotes leadership: Managers can learn how to foster a strong team by successfully identifying and working through the most common challenges encountered in virtual environments.
- Develops sensitivity: Understanding international perspectives and attitudes towards teamwork can help managerial employees handle any related issues with tact and consideration.
After finishing the lessons in this chapter, employees will be able to:
- Identify and demonstrate the various habits that help a virtual team find success
- Explain the various challenges faced by virtual teams
- Devise appropriate solutions to difficulties that arise in the virtual environment
- Recognize the specific challenges that may happen with a blended office environment
- Discuss how different cultures approach teamwork
- Address the challenges faced by international teammates with respect
1. Habits of Successful Virtual Teams
A virtual team is a team of workers who work virtually anywhere. This lesson will discuss the habits virtual teams use that help them to become successful.
2. Challenges of Virtual Teams
Working on a virtual team can be challenging. Team members may be located in different time zones or have different expectations on how to complete an assigned project. This lesson discusses the challenges facing a virtual team and offers techniques for overcoming those challenges.
3. Challenges With Blending Virtual & Office Teams
This lesson provides specific suggestions to blend virtual and office teams. Topics covered include communication, collaboration, setting clear expectations, and creating fair performance measures.
4. Practical Application: Moderating Personnel Issues in a Virtual Environment
Personnel issues can arise in any workplace, but the personnel issues that come up on virtual teams can be especially difficult to manage. In this practical application, you'll reflect on how to moderate personnel issues in a virtual environment.
5. How Teams Differ in a Global Setting
Different cultures view teams, or teaming, very differently. Those perspectives are compounded when there are multicultural teams present. This lesson will look at this issue in more detail.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.