About This Chapter
Sun-Earth-Moon System - Chapter Summary
This chapter explores the various factors that go into the movement and functioning of the sun, Earth, and the moon. You'll review topics such as the geography of the four seasons, the sun's angle and movement, effects of the earth's rotation, and more. Other subjects discussed include:
- Earth's axial tilt
- Earth's orbit around the sun
- The sun's path across the local sky
- The Equator and the geometry of the Earth and sun
- The Tropics of Cancer and Capricorn
- Predicting the moon's rising and setting
The dashboard feature can help you take stock of your recent activity and progress through the chapter while also considering links to practice quizzes relevant to your studies. You'll also find additional courses there recommended specifically for you as a way of supplementing your learning.
1. Interactions in the Sun-Earth-Moon System
Learn how the sun, earth, and moon interact with each other to create tides, phases, eclipses, seasons, solar winds, and precession. Take a quiz and see how much you've picked up.
2. Effects of the Earth's Rotation & Revolution
This lesson explores the factors that influence seasons, daylight, and temperatures on our planet, including rotation and radiation. At the end, you can test your knowledge with a brief quiz.
3. Earth's Axial Tilt & Orbit Around the Sun
After watching this video, you will be able to describe the Earth's orbit around the Sun, including the orbital plane, its eccentricity, and axial tilt. A short quiz will follow.
4. Geography of the Four Seasons
This lesson will explain how the earth's axis and rotation affect seasons. In doing this, it will also highlight the concept of the summer and winter solstices, as well as how seasons vary around the globe.
5. The Sun's Angle & Movement
After watching this video, you will be able to explain how the Sun's movement in the sky varies with the seasons and how that relates to the length of each day. A short quiz will follow.
6. The Sun's Path Through the Local Sky
After watching this video, you should be able to describe the Sun's path through the sky at different latitudes and different times of year: particularly the equinoxes and solstices. A short quiz will follow.
7. The Equator, the Tropics of Cancer & Capricorn: Association with Earth-Sun Geometry
After watching this video, you will be able to explain what the Equator, the Tropic of Cancer, and the Tropic of Capricorn are in terms of latitude and longitude. A short quiz will follow, allowing for further review of the material.
8. Predicting When The Moon Will Rise and Set
In this lesson, you'll learn when the moon will rise or set during four distinct phases: full moon, new moon, first quarter moon, and third quarter moon.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the National Board Certification Exam - Science/Adolescence & Young Adulthood: Practice & Study Guide course
- Understanding Students as a Teacher
- Scientific Experiments & Research
- History of Scientific Advances
- Earth Science Overview
- Rocks & Minerals
- Igneous Rocks Basics
- Sedimentary Rocks: A Deeper Look
- Metamorphic Rocks
- Geological Forms
- Biochemical Cycles
- Energy Science
- Severe Weather & Disturbances
- Space Science Overview
- Astronomical Observations
- Life Sciences Overview
- Mitosis & Meiosis
- Male Reproductive System
- Female Reproductive System
- Physiology I: The Circulatory, Respiratory, Digestive, Excretory, and Musculoskeletal Systems
- Physiology II: The Nervous, Immune, and Endocrine Systems
- Plant Biology
- Plant Reproduction and Growth
- Physical Science Overview
- Principles of Force & Motion
- Work, Power & Energy
- Momentum & Conservation
- Work & Machines
- Sound & Light
- Atomic Structure in Chemistry
- Trends of the Periodic Table
- Elements, Compounds & Mixtures
- Types of Reactions in Chemistry
- Understanding Chemical Bonds
- Curriculum & Instruction Design
- Assessments & Feedback in Education
- Learning Environment in Schools
- Family & Community Partnerships in Education
- Advancing Professionalism in Education
- Diversity & Equality in the Classroom
- Effective Teaching & Teacher Reflection
- National Board Certification Exam - Science/Adolescence & Young Adulthood Flashcards