About This Chapter
Sun, Moon & Stars Lesson Plans - Chapter Summary
This chapter is filled with teacher resources you can use to give your curriculum and lessons a boost. Ensure you provide your students with well-developed lessons about the sun, moon and stars by exploring lesson plans that offer instructional tips and strategies, assignment ideas, discussion questions and more. The activity, game and project ideas included in this chapter can also help you present lesson materials in a fun and interactive manner. Among the topics covered are the following:
- Moon facts, phases and landforms
- Lunar and solar eclipses a
- Sun facts and life cycle
- Solar flares and sunspots
- Types of stars and black holes
- Constellations, the Big Dipper and stargazing
- Black holes
Feel free to prepare your lessons during your planning period or any other convenient time, thanks to around-the-clock computer and mobile access to our teacher resources. In addition to lesson plans, this chapter offers supplemental lessons and quizzes you can share during class to enhance your instruction of the sun, moon and stars.
How It Helps
- Learning objectives: Details the academic actions students should be prepared to take after completing lessons you've developed using our lesson plans.
- Vocabulary words: Pinpoints key terms related to the sun, moon and stars to include in your lessons.
- Student engagement: Provides activity, game and project ideas along with discussion questions you can share with students to encourage participation and increase engagement during lessons.
How It Works
This helpful resource offers teachers lesson plan outlines with relevant tools to make planning sun, moon and stars lessons easy.
- Find lesson plans for specific constellation, black hole and lunar and solar eclipse topics you want to cover in class.
- Formulate your sun, moon and stars class outline using the suggested classroom tools offered in the lesson plans.
- Share the related activity, game and project idea lessons for each lesson plan with students in class to make learning fun and engaging.
- Use related lesson quizzes to ensure your students understand the most important sun, moon and stars concepts from the lessons.
- Engage your students with relevant sun, moon and star-related activities, discussion questions or other materials found in the lesson plan outline.
1. Stars Lesson Plan
Stars pepper our galaxy with light. This lesson plan teaches students the basics about stars using an enlightening text lesson. An activity asks students to create informational charts featuring the key characteristics of stars.
2. Life Cycle of a Star Lesson Plan
In this lesson plan, we help our students learn more about the stages of a star's life through integrating a text lesson with independent research. Students work in pairs to investigate one particular life stage, before presenting their information creatively to the rest of the class.
3. Formation, Types & Life Cycles of Stars
After reading this lesson, you will be able to describe how stars form and what form they take as well as describing the common cycles of their lives. A short quiz will follow.
4. What is a Star? - Lesson Plan for Elementary School
What is a star and what are they made of? This lesson plan uses a text lesson to explain key facts about the different types of stars. An activity allows students to create their own constellation books.
5. What is a Star? - Lesson for Kids
Stars are bright balls of hot gases that we can see on a clear night. Believe it or not, even our sun is a star! Come learn what stars are made of, how they form and some other cool facts.
6. Types of Stars Lesson Plan
Teach your students how to identify and differentiate stars with this lesson plan. Students will start off watching a video lesson, play a star classification game, then do a project before taking a quiz.
7. Constellations Lesson Plan
This lesson plan is an engaging way for students to learn more about constellations. Students use the information they learn from the video and text to label a constellation map and create a few on their own.
8. Constellations Lesson Plan for Elementary School
In this lesson plan, explore the fascinating topic of constellations! Students will learn what a constellation is and how to identify them in the night sky. An art project will reinforce this topic.
9. Star Gazing Activities
If your students are interested in astronomy, you might want to introduce them to stargazing. This lesson offers some hands-on activities that will teach students more about the night sky and what they can do to appreciate it.
10. Big Dipper Activities
If your class is studying space and what's in the night sky, then you can't forget the Big Dipper. Use these activities to help students explore this famous constellation and its importance.
11. Star Activities for Kids
Want to spruce up your space unit with some fun star activities? You've come to the right place! This lesson contains several ideas for activities that teach students about stars.
12. The Sun Lesson Plan
This lesson will help your students understand more about the Sun. Students will watch a couple of video lessons, participate in group activities, and prove their knowledge with a short quiz.
13. The Sun Lesson Plan for Elementary School
Use this lesson plan to help you teach your students about the Sun. Two text lessons anchor student learning on topics such as the Sun's effects and life cycle. They will also take a quiz before they apply their new knowledge with a fun lab activity.
14. Life Cycle of the Sun: Lesson for Kids
Do you know how old the Sun is or how long it will live? Although the Sun isn't something you typically think of as living, the Sun, like other living things, has a life cycle. Today we'll look at the stages in the Sun's life cycle.
15. Sun Facts: Lesson for Kids
The Sun is a part of your every day life, but how much do you actually know about the Sun? Come and learn about what the Sun is, as well as its advantages and disadvantages.
16. Sunspots Activities & Games
Are you teaching your students about the Sun and sunspots? Check out this lesson filled with helpful activities and games that enhance your students' learning while keeping them engaged!
17. Solar Flare Activities & Games
This lesson contains activities and games that will help teach your students about solar flares, the eruption that can cause sunspots. Students will learn how solar flares are formed as well as their significance.
18. Solar Eclipse Lesson Plan for Elementary School
Students will enjoy learning about a solar eclipse in this hands-on lesson plan. After defining a solar eclipse, students will learn how and why these rare astronomical events occur. They will then apply these concepts and create an art project that illustrates a total and partial solar eclipse.
19. Solar Eclipse Lesson Plan
This lesson plan will help you introduce your secondary students to the solar eclipse. With it, students will view and discuss a short video lesson about eclipses before creating a model of this phenomenon.
20. Solar Eclipse Activities & Games
If your class is studying space, then having your students learn about solar eclipses can be a fascinating addition to their knowledge base. Use these activities and games to help students learn all about solar eclipses.
21. The Moon Lesson Plan
Help your students explore the geology and formation of the Moon through two videos, some vocabulary discussion, and a hands-on activity in which students will simulate impact craters.
22. The Moon Lesson Plan for Elementary School
This lesson plan provides an artistic and energetic way for students to understand and visualize the phases of the moon. Students will recreate the moon phases in the classroom.
23. Moon Phases: Names & Sequence
This lesson will go over the phases of the moon. The full moon, new moon, waxing, waning, and gibbous phases and the order in which they occur and what they look like are discussed.
24. Phases of the Moon Lesson Plan for Elementary School
The way the moon looks in the sky changes on a nightly basis, these are called moon phases. This lesson plan will help students understand the moon phases with whole group discussion, centers with hands on activities.
25. Phases of the Moon Activities & Games
Understanding the phases of the moon requires students grasping how things work in 3D space. This isn't always easy. Help them learn and stay focused by trying some of these games and activities.
26. Moon Phases Project Ideas
The moon is inherently interesting, because it floats right above us and forces us to ask questions. Pique students' interest in the topic by having them take part in a moon phases project. Check out these ideas.
27. Moon Activities & Games
Exploring the moon can be very fun even if you are on earth! These moon activities and games will provide different ways to explore the moon and why it is so important to earth.
28. Moon Art Projects for Kids
If your students are learning about space, then exploring the Earth's nearest neighbor, the Moon, is essential. To help younger students personalize their study of the Moon, consider using these lunar art projects.
29. Full Moon Activities & Games
Learning about outer space can be fascinating to your students. The full moon is an opportunity for your students to examine an important part of outer space. Use the following activities and games to help your students learn more about the full moon.
30. Lunar Eclipse Lesson Plan for Elementary School
Use this hands-on lesson plan to teach your students about lunar eclipses. Students will be reading an informational text lesson about the lunar eclipse, then make a model and book to deepen their understanding of concepts.
31. Lunar Eclipse Lesson Plan
Educate your students about a lunar eclipse with this lesson plan. Students will view a video lesson, take a follow-up quiz, and participate in two activities that will solidify major concepts.
32. Lunar Landforms Activities
Looking for fun, engaging ways to help students learn about the Moon? This lesson contains several activities that will allow students to explore the Moon in new and exciting ways.
33. Lunar Eclipse Activities & Games
A lunar eclipse can be exciting to your students, but since it is rarely seen, it can also be a bit mysterious. Use these activities and games to shed light on the mysterious lunar eclipse for your students.
34. Sun, Moon & Earth Activities for Middle School
Motivating middle schoolers to review acquired information can be a challenge. This lesson offers games and activities that will engage your students in reviewing information related to the sun, moon, and Earth.
35. Phases of the Moon Lesson Plan
Are you teaching students about the phases of the moon? Use this Study.com lesson plan to give students a visual of the lunar phases, and reinforce the subject matter with a memorable activity.
36. The Moon Seems to Change by Franklyn Branley Activities
The phases of the moon can be confusing to young students. Read 'The Moon Seems to Change,' then try these active and creative activities to help your students understand.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.