About This Chapter
Supervising Organizational Change - Chapter Summary
The engaging video lessons in this chapter offer practical and relevant strategies for managing organizational change. New and veteran organizational leaders can apply these strategies to virtually any workplace change effort after developing an understanding of internal and external environments and factors, employee responses to change, and methods to decrease resistance to change. After completing this chapter, you'll be able to meet the following objectives:
- Define organizational change
- List theories of organizational change
- Point out the internal and external factors associated with organizational change
- Consider reasons for organizational change, and and the impact within the workplace
- Outline organizational culture
- Explain the organizational change process
- Demonstrate understanding of employee behavior and attitudes during change
- Detail strategies that can be used to decrease resistance to change within a company.
You can quickly complete these short and informative lessons at your convenience and easily track your progress from the convenient dashboard. All lessons are available in both video and text format so you can work the way you learn best. For each lesson, you'll also find fill in the blank transcripts which can help you to remember the major points as well as quizzes to test your knowledge of the concepts covered.
1. What Is Organizational Change? - Theory & Example
Organizational change is an essential concept to understand in our complex world. In this lesson, you'll learn one of the theories of organizational change. You'll also have a chance to take a short quiz following the lesson.
2. How Internal and External Factors Drive Organizational Change
Managers must recognize and respond to all factors that affect their organizations. This lesson describes how the internal and external environments of an organization drive change within the company.
3. Types of Internal Organizational Change: Structural, Strategic, People, and Process
Organizational change can occur in response to internal or external factors. This lesson focuses specifically on those changes that occur in a company's internal environment, including structural, strategic, people and process changes.
4. Organizational Culture and Change
Organizational change involving altering processes and systems within a company often affects the existing group norms, beliefs and values. This makes change a challenge for managers. There are tactics managers can use to institute change in a positive and welcoming way.
5. Employee Behavior & Attitudes During Organizational Change
Change can be difficult for organizations. The fear of the unknown, fear of loss, fear of failure, disruption of relationships, certain personalities and internal politics are the main reasons for rejecting change. In order to manage change, the company needs to offer communication, support and participation.
6. Overcoming Barriers to Change in Organizations
Overcoming barriers to change in an organization can be difficult. There are some basic strategies that can help improve the acceptance of major changes within a company.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the DSST Principles of Supervision: Study Guide & Test Prep course
- Supervisory Roles & Responsibilities
- Function of Management
- Planning and Controls as Management Functions
- Organizing as a Management Function
- Managerial Leadership Principles
- Staffing and Labor Management in Organizations
- Managing Diversity and Global Organizations
- Basic Concepts in Communication
- Principles of Workplace Health & Safety
- DSST Informational Resources
- DSST Principles of Supervision Flashcards