About This Chapter
Supply Chain & Inventory Management - Chapter Summary and Learning Objectives
Product distribution can be unnecessarily costly without an effective supply chain and inventory plan in place. Our subject matter experts have developed a series of short, engaging videos to teach you about efficient management of this process. In this chapter, you will learn about such things as:
- Ways to reduce costs and expenses with effective supply chain management
- How to effectively manage those players in the supply chain that are not under your direct control
- The use of intermediaries in logistics
- How to become an inventory expert and efficient merchandise manager
|Supply Chain Management: Technology, Measurement, Relationship & Material Integration||Assess how to integrate all pieces of the distribution chain.|
|Supply Chain Management in the Business, Supplier & Customer Network||Develop your understanding of the internal and external contributors to a supply chain.|
|Logistics of Goods and Services||Evaluate the role of logistics in a supply chain.|
|Supply Chain Management: Elements & Goals||Consider how supply chain management failure can doom a company.|
|Bullwhip Effect: Causes & Effects||Recall how to recognize bullwhip effect and how to stop it.|
|Items that Make Up Merchandise Inventory||Develop knowledge on essential inventory requirements.|
|Inventory Cost: Definition, Methods & Types||Evaluate all of the aspects that go into inventory costs.|
1. Supply Chain Management: Technology, Measurement, Relationship & Material Integration
Marketing managers realize how distribution can be costly if there is not an efficient plan in place. Supply chain management is a strategy that allows seamless integration of all pieces of the distribution chain.
2. Supply Chain Management in the Business, Supplier & Customer Network
Supply chain management is concerned with all the interconnected businesses that are part of providing end products or services to customers. Learn how SCM can reduce costs and improve customer service.
3. Logistics of Goods and Services
Logistics management is essential for the proper functioning of a supply chain and for successfully serving customers. In this lesson, you'll learn about the role of logistics in supply chain management and how intermediaries can be used in the process.
4. Supply Chain Management: Elements & Goals
Supply chains and their efficient management may mean the difference between success and failure for a business. In this lesson, you'll learn about the elements of the supply chain and the key goals businesses seek in managing their supply chains.
5. Bullwhip Effect: Causes & Effects
Failure to manage a supply chain effectively can lead to inefficiencies. In this lesson, you'll learn about the bullwhip effect, including what it is, its causes and effects, and what to do to stop it. A quiz follows.
6. Items that Make Up Merchandise Inventory
In order to operate, merchandising companies must carry inventory. What exactly makes up merchandise inventory? In this lesson, you will not only learn the answer to that question, but also several other important factors that relate to merchandise inventory.
7. Inventory Cost: Definition, Methods & Types
Have you ever thought about how much it costs a business to keep inventory in stock? It's not just the price the business pays for the items that it keeps in stock. It is so much more. In this lesson, we will discuss exactly what constitutes actual inventory cost.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the Business 312: Advanced Operations Management course
- Introduction to Operations Management
- Business & Operations Processes
- Quality Management & Control
- Continuous Process Improvement
- Forecast & Demand Planning
- Performance Metrics & Process Variability Analysis
- Sustainability & Lean Management Systems
- Project Management for Operations
- Cost Analysis
- Managing Risk in Operations Management
- Required Assignments for Business 312
- Studying for Business 312