About This Chapter
Supply Chain Management in Business - Chapter Summary
If you have ever had a package delivered, then you have been on the receiving end of a supply chain. Developing effective supply chain management is a hugely important goal for many business enterprises. Use these lessons to explore the different segments of this field and how they have developed. Learn about logistics, the costs and benefits of outsourcing and the importance of leveraging core competencies. Finish off by going over the rapid changes taking place in supply chain management due to globalization. After completing these lessons, you will be able to:
- Identify the different components of a supply chain
- Discuss logistics and the end user of a supply chain
- Explain the benefits and downsides of outsourcing from a supply perspective
- Identify strategic decision makers in supply operations
- Chart the growth of globalization as it has affected supply chain management techniques
Our lessons are created by professional instructors using an engaging video format. They also include an interactive quiz in each lesson, allowing you to quickly identify troublesome or confusing topics in a lesson. These lessons are designed with convenience in mind, and can be accessed from a wide variety of different devices. The Dashboard in your account homepage allows you to pick up right where you left off.
1. Supply Chain Management: Technology, Measurement, Relationship & Material Integration
Marketing managers realize how distribution can be costly if there is not an efficient plan in place. Supply chain management is a strategy that allows seamless integration of all pieces of the distribution chain.
2. Supply Chain Management in the Business, Supplier & Customer Network
Supply chain management is concerned with all the interconnected businesses that are part of providing end products or services to customers. Learn how SCM can reduce costs and improve customer service.
3. Logistics of Goods and Services
Logistics management is essential for the proper functioning of a supply chain and for successfully serving customers. In this lesson, you'll learn about the role of logistics in supply chain management and how intermediaries can be used in the process.
4. Distribution Outsourcing: Advantages & Disadvantages
More and more, companies are realizing that outsourcing non-core practices, like accounting or distribution, has many advantages. However, as this lesson shows, there are also potential disadvantages to consider when outsourcing distribution.
5. Strategic Decisions in Operations & Supply Chain Management
Strategic decisions in operations and supply chain management deal with the top-level, risky and complex issues. Here we'll discuss five areas of strategic decision making, including product development, customers, manufacturing, vendors, and logistics.
6. Leveraging Core Competencies in Operations & Supply Chain Management
Core competencies can be leveraged to develop a competitive advantage in the operations and supply chain areas. In this lesson, you will learn the definition, how they are leveraged and view examples of core competencies.
7. Globalization's Impact on Operations & Supply Chain Management
Globalization's impact on operations and supply chain management is multifaceted. In this lesson, we will discuss four impacted areas: procurement and sourcing methods, inventory management, distribution facility locations, and transportation.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 220 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the HSC Business Studies: Exam Prep & Syllabus course
- Nature of Business
- Types of Business
- Business Industries in Australia
- Influences on Businesses in Australia
- Stakeholders in Business
- Business Cycle
- Global Markets in Business
- Management Skills
- Management Approaches
- Management Processes
- Business Planning & Strategy
- Business Forecasting
- Business Strategies & Values
- Operations Management & Inventory Management
- Scheduling in Operations Management Overview
- Marketing Roles & Objectives
- Types of Markets
- Influences of Marketing in Australia
- Marketing Information & Research
- Marketing Strategy in Business
- Pricing Strategy in Business
- Promotion in Marketing
- Place & Distribution in Business
- International Marketing Basics
- Business Financing in Australia
- Financial Planning & Implementation
- Financial Monitoring & Control
- Financial Ratios
- Financial Management Overview
- Global Financial Management
- HRM: Human Resources Management
- Employee Acquisition & Development
- Human Resource Metrics & Measurement
- Employee Separation
- Legal Considerations in Australian HR
- HSC Business Studies Flashcards