About This Chapter
About This Chapter
In this chapter, video instructors show you how geologic maps are made and explain how to use topographic maps and analyze geologic hazard maps. You'll be introduced to how tectonics, geologic structures, and rock properties influence surface properties. This chapter will discuss how to use maps to predict changes in the landscape and other geologic changes.
You'll learn about the effects of ground and surface water on the landscape. As you progress through the chapter, you'll learn about the effects of erosion and deposition on land forms. When you finish this chapter, you should be able to:
- Read topographic and geologic hazard maps
- Interpret geologic processes and history from a map
- Understand how geologic maps are made
- Discuss how maps are used to predict geologic changes
- Explain the effects of erosion, deposition, geologic structures, ground water, rock properties, surface water, and tectonics on surface properties
Our instructors strive to make the video lessons in this chapter engaging and easy to use. Lessons are short, but just long enough to cover the most important ideas in the subject. Video tags incorporated into each lesson let you toggle back and forth between all the major points in the video. Each video lesson includes a brief self-assessment quiz, so you'll be able to test yourself on how well you're learning and remembering the material as you go.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the NY Regents Exam - Earth Science: Test Prep & Practice course
- Earth Science & Science Basics
- Understanding Earth's Spheres & Internal Structure
- The Lithosphere
- Rocks & Minerals
- Igneous Rocks Basics
- Weathering, Erosion & Wasting
- Types of Running Water
- Life Cycle of Glaciers
- The Atmosphere
- Weather and Storms
- Understanding Earthquakes
- Earth History Overview
- Astronomy & Space Exploration
- About the NY Regents Examinations
- NY Regents Exam - Earth Science Flashcards