About This Chapter
Surgical Procedures -- Chapter Summary
This engaging chapter was put together to help you learn more about basic surgical procedures that nurses should be familiar with. Discover the uses of bone cement and learn why it is importance of knowing how bone cement can affect a pregnancy through a quick lesson. After going over the lessons, you can test what you've reviewed by taking the corresponding multiple-choice quiz. Once you've completed the lessons and quizzes in this chapter, you should know the following information:
- Why bone implantation syndrome can occur
- What exactly is involved in the procedure of kyphoplasty and length of recovery
- The specific side effects and complications of kyphoplasty
- How kyphoplasty is different from vertebroplasty
- What complications can stem from vertebroplasty
1. What is Bone Cement?
What is bone cement? How is it used in a medical setting? If you are curious about the answers to these questions, look no further. In this lesson we will explore what bone cement is and how it used to make lives easier.
2. Bone Cement Implantation Syndrome
Bone cement implantation syndrome is a rare but potentially fatal complication from the cement used during certain orthopedic surgeries. In this lesson, a broad overview of bone cement implantation syndrome will be presented.
3. Bone Cement and Pregnancy
This lesson will quickly explain bone cement and what it's used for. Then you'll learn whether or not bone cement has any adverse effects on fetal health.
4. Kyphoplasty: Definition, Procedure & Recovery
This lesson gives you an overview of kyphoplasty. You'll learn what this is, why and how it's performed, and what to expect right after the procedure.
5. Kyphoplasty: Complications & Side Effects
Kyphoplasty can significantly improve a person's life by relieving significant pain. But as with every medical procedure, it carries its own set of general and specific risks that this lesson covers.
6. Kyphoplasty vs. Vertebroplasty
It's hard to tell the difference between a kyphoplasty and vertebroplasty. This lesson clearly explains what these procedures are and what their key differences are as well.
7. Vertebroplasty: Definition, Procedure & Recovery
What are alternative options to back surgery? In this lesson, you will learn the definition of a vertebroplasty, the specifics of the procedure, and the expected stages of recovery.
8. Vertebroplasty: Complications & Side Effects
In this lesson, we are going to look at a relatively new procedure called vertebroplasty that's being performed to repair vertebrae. We'll also focus on the possible side effects and complications of this procedure.
9. Seroma: Definition, Symptoms & Treatment
If you've recently had surgery, especially major surgery, you might be at risk of developing a seroma. Should you be worried? Find out on this lesson on seromas and their symptoms and treatment options.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the Basic Nursing Training course
- Diabetes Insipidus
- Diet Plans for Diabetes
- Treating Bites & Stings
- Identifying & Treating Bone Issues
- Treating Cystitis
- Weight-Related Issues
- Understanding & Treating Fistula
- Patella Injuries & Issues
- Types & Application of Casts
- Types & Application of Splints
- Understanding & Treating Hernias
- Understanding & Treating Sciatica
- Understanding Joints & Joint Issues
- Understanding & Treating Hepatitis
- Understanding Occupational Disease
- Treating Occupational Disease
- Diseases of the Central Nervous System
- Digestive & Intestinal Diseases
- Rheumatic Fever & Heart Disease