About This Chapter
Sustaining the Environment - Chapter Summary
In this chapter, you will be presented with engaging lessons on environment sustainability. Topics found in this chapter include sustainable consumption and voluntary simplicity. You will accomplish the following upon completion of the chapter:
- Understand the application of environment sustainability
- Explore the consequences of human behavior on the environment
- Review how sustainable development has limits within the environment
- Explain the complex nature of sustainable consumption
- Determine how voluntary simplicity is a form of sustainable consumption
You can use the video links to jump back and forth through the video lessons. Then, you can click on the links that are found in the transcripts. You will be able to work through the lessons in this chapter at a pace that is comfortable for you whatever that pace may be. Our expert instructors are available to you in case they have any questions about the chapter's content before moving forward to more advanced chapters.
1. Environmental Sustainability: Definition and Application
Environmental sustainability allows for the needs of man to be met without jeopardizing the ability of future generations to meet their needs. Learn applications of environmental sustainability, including sustainable agriculture, forestry and energy.
2. Human Behaviors that Threaten Environmental Sustainability
The environment has a remarkable ability to sustain itself. However, human behaviors disrupt the natural environment and threaten environmental sustainability. Learn how population growth, depletion of resources, and pollution threaten nature.
3. Sustainable Development within Environmental Limits
Sustainable development is a way of meeting the needs of both present and future generations. Learn how sustainable development must work within the environmental limits so future generations can benefit from the rich resources of the environment.
4. Sustainable Consumption: Definition and Complexities
Sustainable consumption is the use of products and services that have a minimal impact on the environment so future generations can meet their needs. Learn about the benefits and the complexities that are associated with sustainable consumption.
5. Understanding Voluntary Simplicity as a Form of Sustainable Consumption
Voluntary simplicity is a form of sustainable consumption that involves a conscious decision to use fewer natural resources. Learn how following a voluntary simplicity lifestyle can meet your needs and desires and reduce damage to the environment.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the AP Environmental Science: Exam Prep course
- Environmental Science Basics
- Time & Dating in Geology
- The Lithosphere
- Understanding Earthquakes
- The Atmosphere and the Environment
- Weather and Storms
- Water Balance
- Flowing Water
- Ground Water Systems
- Oceanic Systems & Characteristics
- Life Cycle of Glaciers
- Water Issues & Conservation
- Minerals, Rocks & Soil
- Interaction Among Organisms in the Ecosystem
- Evolving Ecosystems
- Changing Ecosystems
- Population and the Environment
- Food and Agricultural Resources
- Forestry, Rangelands & Other Land Use
- Mining & Fishing
- Energy Concepts
- Renewable Energy Resources
- Nonrenewable Energy Sources
- Waste Management
- Effects of Humans on the Environment
- Environmental Risk Analysis
- Global Environmental Economics
- Environmental Ethics & Politics
- AP Environmental Science Flashcards