About This Chapter
Swimming Skills & Benefits - Chapter Summary
If you're interested in learning more about the recreational sport of swimming, whether for professional or personal reasons, check out the video lessons in this chapter. Experienced instructors discuss significant events in the history of swimming to help you explore the sport's evolution. They'll also break down the biomechanics of swimming and introduce you to some activities that can help develop the skills of advanced, intermediate and beginning swimmers alike.
The second half of the chapter is designed to help you examine the health benefits of water-related exercise, while also showing you how to participate safely in these types of activities and reduce the risk of injury. By the time you reach the end of these lessons, you should be able to:
- Discuss the history of swimming
- Demonstrate proper swimming mechanics
- Identify the health benefits of swimming
- Apply water safety principles
Instructors teaching this chapter use an engaging instructional style that can make any topic easy to follow. Watch the illustrated video lessons as many times as you need and navigate between topics with the help of video tags that allow you to skip ahead or go back to the content you want to review. You'll also find lesson quizzes and a chapter test useful for assessing your understanding of the material, as well as transcripts that highlight key terms in bold.
1. The History & Evolution of Swimming
Did you know that native cultures have used a swimming stroke similar to freestyle since ancient times, but it wasn't used in modern swim competitions until the late 19th century? This lesson explains this and other milestones of competitive swimming.
2. Swimming Skills & Biomechanics
Whether you are new to swimming or have a lot of experience, there is always something else to learn about the sport. This lesson contains progressions for beginning through intermediate skill levels for both sports.
3. The Benefits of Swimming
In this lesson, you'll learn the physical and mental benefits associated with water-based exercises. You'll come away with a strong sense of what's unique about swimming as a form of physical activity.
4. Safety in Aquatic-Related Activities
Water sports and activities are a great way to spend time with friends and family. Being safe during these activities can help prevent accidents, making the time spent on the water more enjoyable for you and everyone else.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 160 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the Praxis Physical Education (5091): Practice & Study Guide course
- Introduction to Physical Education
- Physical Development, Health & Fitness
- Motor Skills & Movement Activities
- Kinesiology & Biomechanics
- Physical Education & Weight Management
- Functions of the Cardiorespiratory System
- Muscular System Functions
- Gross Anatomy of the Muscular System
- Connective Tissue Overview
- Human Skeletal System
- Softball Rules & Skills
- Soccer History & Rules
- Tennis Rules & Techniques
- History & Rules of Track & Field
- Volleyball History & Rules
- Cognitive Influences on Learning
- Behavioral Influences on Learning
- Student Learning & Motivation
- Managing the Physical Education Classroom
- Communication in Physical Education Settings
- Planning & Instruction in Physical Education
- Student Assessment Types
- Measurement & Analysis for Student Assessments
- Student Assessment in Special Education
- Collaboration, Reflection & Technology in Physical Education
- Praxis Physical Education Flashcards