About This Chapter
Systems & Development Analysis - Chapter Summary
Study the foundations of systems and development analysis with this self-guided computer science chapter. As you work through these short and simple lessons, you'll become familiar with systems development methods, the software development process, application development methods and various analysis/design tools. The chapter comes with self-assessment quizzes to help you review important concepts from each lesson. The chapter is accessible on any computer or mobile device, and if you have any questions about the material, you can submit them to our instructors online. By the end of the chapter, you should be able to:
- Compare various methods and tools in systems development
- Summarize the process of software development
- Differentiate between internal and external application development processes
- Evaluate the importance of system analysis
- Explain how flow charts are used in analysis and design
1. Systems Development Methods and Tools
System development is the process of defining, designing, testing and implementing a software application. Learn about the phases of systems development and some of the specific tools used to support the activities of each phase in this video lesson.
2. Systems Development Life Cycles: Software Development Process
There are a number of models of software development, each with a somewhat different approach to implementing the various phases of the systems development life cycle. Learn about these models in this video lesson.
3. Application Development Processes: Internal & External
Sourcing indicates who is responsible for system development. There are different types of sourcing, which vary in their use of internal and external resources. Outsourcing in particular has become popular for system development.
4. Why is System Analysis Important?
In this lesson, we define a system and learn about the process of system analysis. We examine the different stages of systems analysis that makes it so important in system design.
5. Analysis and Design Tools: Analysis Definition and Flow Charts Introduction
Now that the requirements are pretty well known, you can start analyzing how you are going to write your code. One of the first steps is to model the activities involved. A useful tool for this is a flowchart, which is what we will look at in this lesson. At the end, you will have good basic knowledge of how to create simple flowcharts.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the Computer Science 103: Computer Concepts & Applications course
- Basic Computer Concepts
- Computer Hardware Components & Functions
- Application & System Software
- Operating Systems for Computers
- Telecommunications Systems
- Understanding Computer Files
- Troubleshooting Computer Issues
- Web Browsers & Technology
- Using Microsoft Word
- Using Microsoft Excel
- Using Microsoft PowerPoint
- Database Fundamentals
- Computer Programming Fundamentals
- Computer Threats & Security
- Technology's Ethical, Legal & Privacy Issues