About This Chapter
Systems Development Components & Lifecycle - Chapter Summary
Take a look at this chapter to review systems development components and the application development process. These simple lessons break down systems development project roles, tools, methods and processes in an easy-to-understand and engaging manner. The chapter also comes with interactive self-assessment quizzes to help you retain the information you study. These lessons are taught by subject-matter experts who are happy to answer your questions. By the end of the chapter, you should be equipped to.
- Recognize different system development project roles
- Explain several methods and tools that are used in systems development
- Compare the internal and external application development processes
- Understand how graphical user interfaces are developed
- Identify project management tools that are used in systems development
- Summarize the process of software development
1. Project Roles in Systems Development in Organizations
A development team is responsible for delivering a system that meets the original objectives. A development team typically includes users, managers, system analysts, programmers, technical specialists and other stakeholders.
2. Systems Development Methods and Tools
System development is the process of defining, designing, testing and implementing a software application. Learn about the phases of systems development and some of the specific tools used to support the activities of each phase in this video lesson.
3. Application Development Processes: Internal & External
Sourcing indicates who is responsible for system development. There are different types of sourcing, which vary in their use of internal and external resources. Outsourcing in particular has become popular for system development.
4. Developing a Graphical User Interface (GUI)
A computer system needs a user interface. Graphical user interfaces have become very popular due to their ease of use. Learn about the elements of user interfaces and how interfaces are developed to improve the usability of software applications.
5. Project Management Tools for Systems Development
Project management consists of planning, scheduling, directing and controlling resources for a defined task. Learn about specific tools for project management, such as Gantt charts, the Critical Path Method and the Program Evaluation and Review Technique.
6. Systems Development Life Cycles: Software Development Process
There are a number of models of software development, each with a somewhat different approach to implementing the various phases of the systems development life cycle. Learn about these models in this video lesson.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the UExcel Business Information Systems: Study Guide & Test Prep course
- Introduction to Business Information Systems
- Computer-Based Information System Components
- Information Systems Application & Impact
- Information Systems Hardware
- Information Systems Software Programs
- Information Systems Software Applications
- Data Management in Information Systems
- Networking & Systems Technology
- Internet, Intranet, & Extranet
- Virtualization for Business
- Electronic & Mobile Commerce
- Enterprise Systems for Business
- Decision Making & Specialized Information Systems
- Personal & Social Impact of Computers
- UExcel Business Information Systems Flashcards