About This Chapter
Systems for Health Care Delivery - Chapter Summary
In this informative chapter, you'll study systems for health care delivery. Our lessons cover the role of primary care in the U.S. health care system, outpatient care and more important health care delivery topics. You can go back and review specific topics in any video lesson using the video tabs feature in the Timeline. To test your knowledge, take the multiple-choice quiz that comes with each lesson to see if you're ready for an exam. This chapter is designed to help you:
- Give an example of tertiary prevention
- Outline the different types of hospitals in the United States
- Detail the structure and organization of hospital systems
- Identify the different types of long-term care service
- Discuss institutional care for older adults
- Differentiate between intervention and prevention as mental health treatments
- Explain the principles of public health
- Describe the relationship between U.S. healthcare and public health
1. The Role of Primary Care in the U.S. Healthcare System
This lesson defines primary care, explains the role primary care providers play in the current healthcare system, and identifies the differences between primary, secondary and tertiary healthcare. It also explores current trends in primary care.
2. What is Outpatient Care? - Definition & Examples
This lesson defines outpatient care in the U.S. and what services are generally provided. We'll also review some of the main categories of outpatient care, including primary care clinics; home-, school-, and employer-based healthcare; and outpatient services given within hospitals.
3. What is Tertiary Prevention? - Definition & Examples
In this lesson, you will learn about a category of prevention in health care called tertiary prevention. You will also go over examples of tertiary prevention used to help prevent cardiac disease in community health and population based nursing.
4. Types & Evolution of Hospitals in the United States
This lesson will provide an overview of the different types of hospitals over the years and how they've expanded and downsized through time. It will also discuss how hospitals have impacted the field of healthcare.
5. Hospital Systems: Structure & Organization
This lesson will discuss the structure and organization of healthcare systems in the U.S. We will include a discussion of the purpose for merging and how individual providers fit into this purpose.
6. Long-Term Care Service: Definition & Types
Long-term care services can occur within the home with the use of community services, or in an institutional type of setting. Read this lesson to learn about the types of services and facilities available to help manage long-term needs.
7. Institutional Care for Older Adults
As people age, staying in their home is not always possible. In this lesson, we'll explore institutional care for older adults, including examining different types of institutional care and how to know if a person is ready for it.
8. Community Approaches to Mental Health Treatment: Prevention & Intervention
How are people with mental illnesses treated? In this lesson, we'll look at community mental health initiatives aimed at helping people prevent and get treatment for psychological disorders.
9. What is Public Health? - Definition & Principles
Have you ever wondered how you can help improve the health of the entire community? In this lesson, you will learn about public health. As opposed to helping people one-by-one, public health policies and practices help large numbers of people become healthier.
10. Relationship Between Public Health & U.S. Healthcare
This lesson explores the interface between public health and the U.S. healthcare system. We examine the role of public health in healthcare organization, financing, and delivery in the United States.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the Health 307: Healthcare Delivery Systems course
- Connecting Health with Health Care Delivery
- Overview of the Health Care System
- Health Care Delivery Professionals
- Health Care Delivery Technology
- Health Care System Access
- Health Care Systems: Quality & Ethics
- Health Care System Policy & Practice
- Health Care Costs & Financing
- Health Care Delivery Systems: Future Considerations
- Required Assignments for Health 307