About This Chapter
Systems of Measurement & Conversion - Chapter Summary
These short and engaging math lessons quickly boost your understanding of systems we use to measure things and how we can convert these units between systems. You'll cover how to identify units of measurements for length, weight and time, and then walk through the steps needed to convert them between the metric system and U.S. customary system, as well as Fahrenheit and Celsius. You'll also perform basic math operations using these measurement units.
After completing this chapter, you'll be able to:
- Identify the standard units of length measurement
- Perform basic mathematical operations with measurements
- Convert standard units of measurement
- Understand units and conversions of the metric system
- Convert units of time and temperature
- Convert weight measurements between the metric system and the U.S. customary system
These straightforward learning resources are designed to increase your understanding of these measurement and conversion concepts as quickly and efficiently as possible. You'll find that our expert instructors design each lesson to be concise and memorable, with clear definitions, interesting examples and step-by-step practice problems. You can reinforce what you learn by taking the multiple-choice practice quizzes for each lesson and print out the transcripts to study at a later date. When it's time to review what you learn, you can quickly find the information you need to focus on by using our intuitive course Dashboard and interactive video timelines.
1. Standard Units of Measurement for Length, Weight, Time & Capacity
Watch this video lesson to learn how to recognize the various units of measurement for length, weight, time and volume. Learn to recognize both U.S. units and metric units.
2. How to Perform Basic Operations with Measurements
In this video lesson, you will learn how measurements are very much like variables when it comes to adding, subtracting, multiplying, and dividing them. You will also see examples of how they are done.
3. How to Convert Standard Units of Measure
The United States uses pounds, miles, and Fahrenheit for measurements, but the rest of the world uses the metric system. This video lesson will help you to convert from one to the other easily, so you can understand kilometers and kilograms, too.
4. The Metric System: Units and Conversion
Just like you and your friend communicate using the same language, scientists all over the world need to use the same language when reporting the measurements they make. This language is called the metric system. In this lesson we will cover the metric units for length, mass, volume, density and temperature, and also discuss how to convert among them.
5. Converting Units of Time
After watching this video lesson, you will understand the units of time that we use to count time and know how to convert between these units. Learn the one number that you have to multiply and divide by to make your conversions.
6. Converting Weight in Metric & U.S. Customary Systems
You may think that converting weight measurements from one system to another is tricky, but after watching this video lesson, you will be ready to convert any kind of weight measurement you encounter.
7. Converting Celsius to Fahrenheit and Back
Watch this video lesson to learn how you can switch between Fahrenheit and Celsius measurements of temperature. This will help when you visit the doctor and when you travel to different countries.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the Pennsylvania Grades 4-8 - Math Subject Concentration (5158): Practice & Study Guide course
- Real & Rational Numbers
- Exponents & Operations
- Properties of Operations
- Fractions, Decimals & Percents
- Ratios, Rates & Proportional Relationships
- Number Theory & Estimation
- Radical & Exponential Expressions
- Linear Equations & Inequalities
- Nonlinear Equations & Inequalities
- Systems of Equations
- Sequences & Patterns in Math
- Understanding & Comparing Functions
- Function Graphs & Models
- Perimeter, Area & Volume Overview
- Properties of Angles & Lines
- Properties of Shapes Overview
- Geometric Relationships & Transformations
- Geometric Construction
- Data Interpretation in Math
- Dispersion & Probability Models
- Logical Reasoning & Visual Representations of Data
- Pennsylvania Grades 4-8 - Math Subject Concentration (5158) Flashcards