About This Chapter
How it works:
- Begin your assignment or other information systems and computer applications work.
- Identify the systems and application software concepts that you're stuck on.
- Find fun videos on the topics you need to understand.
- Press play, watch and learn!
- Complete the quizzes to test your understanding.
- As needed, submit a question to one of our instructors for personalized support.
Who's it for?
This chapter of our college information systems and computer applications tutoring solution will benefit any student who is trying to learn systems software and application software and earn better grades. This resource can help students including those who:
- Struggle with understanding computer operating systems, file extensions and file types, presentation software or any other systems and application software topic
- Have limited time for studying
- Want a cost effective way to supplement their business learning
- Prefer learning business topics visually
- Find themselves failing or close to failing their systems software and application software unit
- Cope with ADD or ADHD
- Want to get ahead in information systems and computer applications
- Don't have access to their business teacher outside of class
Why it works:
- Engaging Tutors: We make learning systems and application software simple and fun.
- Cost Efficient: For less than 20% of the cost of a private tutor, you'll have unlimited access 24/7.
- Consistent High Quality: Unlike a live information systems and computer applications tutor, these video lessons are thoroughly reviewed.
- Convenient: Imagine a tutor as portable as your laptop, tablet or smartphone. Learn systems and application software on the go!
- Learn at Your Pace: You can pause and rewatch lessons as often as you'd like, until you master the material.
- Describe the role of operating systems.
- Become familiar with the five tasks of operating systems.
- Compare and contrast workgroup, personal and enterprise operating systems.
- Explain the role of application software.
- Discuss different types of file extensions and file types.
- Take a look at different office suite applications, word processing software, spreadsheet software, graphic suites and more.
1. Computer Operating Systems: Managing Hardware and Software Resources
This lesson will introduce you to computer operating systems and help you figure out the difference between application and operating system software. Also, we will learn the difference between a desktop and wallpaper.
2. OS Functions: Security, System Management, Communication and Hardware & Software Services
The operating system (or OS ) is the brain of a computer and manages its functions, including systems management/monitoring, communication/networking services management, security services management, and hardware/software services management.
3. Enterprise, Workgroup & Personal Operating Systems
While every computer needs an operating system, different devices and different users need different functionalities. Learn about the different types of operating systems.
4. Application Software for Personal, Enterprise & Workgroup Objectives
Application software is a computer program to carry out a specific task. Learn about the different types of applications at the individual, workgroup and enterprise level.
5. File Extensions and File Types: MP3, GIF, JPG, DOCX, XLSX, EXE, & More
File extensions are used to indicate the format of files so operating systems know what to do with them. Learn why there are so many different file extensions. Also learn about some of the most widely used file extensions.
6. Microsoft Office and Open Office: Office Suite Applications
Office suite software is a collection of commonly used applications. It typically includes word processing, spreadsheet, presentation and database software. Learn how these applications work together to increase productivity in this video lesson.
7. Desktop Publishing & Word Processing Software: MS Word, InDesign & WordPerfect
Word processing software is used to manipulate text and apply a basic design to your pages. More sophisticated design can be accomplished using desktop publishing software. Learn about the functionality of these two types of application software.
8. Presentation Software & Graphic Suites: Purpose & Examples
To make an impact on your audience, you not only need a strong message, you also need strong visuals. Learn how presentation and illustration software helps you make an impact when showing your work.
9. Database and Spreadsheet Software: Excel, Access, dBase & Lotus 1-2-3
Spreadsheet software and database software are both used to organize and manipulate data. Each application has its own unique strengths. Learn about the functionality of both types of software.
10. Communication Software: Purpose & Examples
You use communication software every day, from E-mail to texting. In this lesson, we'll review the purpose of communication software and provide examples of its use in modern systems.
11. Personal Application Software: Educational, Real Estate, Legal, Finance & Architectural
Specialized software applications have been developed for different areas. Learn about the software being used by educators, real estate agents, lawyers, accountants and architects.
12. Layered Operating System: Architecture, Approach & Structure
In a world where devices are getting smaller and smarter, it makes sense that we should have something to control them. In this lesson, we'll take a look at one possibility, layered operating systems.
13. Workgroup Application Software for Business Teams
Many activities in organizations are carried out by workgroups. Learn about specialized workgroup software that makes it easier for members to communicate and collaborate more effectively in this video lesson.
14. What is Computer Software? - Definition & Applications
In this lesson, we'll briefly go over the basics of what software is and how it's different from hardware. We'll also talk about a couple of examples and see some common uses of software.
15. What is Shareware?
In this lesson, we will talk about shareware - what it is, where it came from, and why it is so popular. Then we will take a short quiz to see how much we've learned.
16. What is Software Prototyping? - Definition, Models & Tools
This lesson introduce you to the world of software prototyping, including its advantages and disadvantages. You will learn the four-step process and two basic models used in software prototyping before testing your knowledge with a quiz.
17. How to Write VBA Code in Excel
While Microsoft Excel is a popular spreadsheet and data analysis tool, fewer users are aware of the ability to program custom formulas and macros. In this lesson, we'll introduce the basics of Excel's programming language - VBA.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 160 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the Information Systems: Tutoring Solution course
- Information Systems in Organizations: Tutoring Solution
- Hardware and Systems Technology: Tutoring Solution
- Internet, Intranet, and Extranet: Tutoring Solution
- Network Systems Technology: Tutoring Solution
- Enterprise Business Systems: Tutoring Solution
- Decision Support Systems: Tutoring Solution
- Systems Development: Tutoring Solution
- Data Management: Tutoring Solution
- Business, Social, and Ethical Implications and Issues: Tutoring Solution
- Introduction to Programming: Tutoring Solution
- Data Visualization & Programming Languages
- Data Visualization & Binding
- Displaying Visualization Data