About This Chapter
Systems Software & Management - Chapter Summary
You should access this chapter when you're ready to learn more about systems software and management. These lessons teach you more about types of operating systems and their functions, and you'll review software and computer security issues. Our instructors can help you increase your understanding of:
- Types of computer and application software
- Computer management tools and computer operating systems
- OS functions
- Systems security and computer viruses
- Types of operating and files systems
- Computer files, file extentions and file types
This chapter was produced by experts in the technological field. The lessons are short and focused, encouraging you to absorb information and vocabulary words related to systems management. Once you've completed a lesson, you can take a self-assessment quiz to ensure you understand what you're learning.
1. What is Computer Software? - Definition & Applications
In this lesson, we'll briefly go over the basics of what software is and how it's different from hardware. We'll also talk about a couple of examples and see some common uses of software.
2. What is Application Software? - Definition, Examples & Types
What is computer application software, and how does it differ from other categories of software? This lesson introduces you to some examples of application software and how they are used.
3. What Is Computer Management? - Maintenance & Tools
A computer needs to be maintained in order to keep working properly. Learn about maintenance tasks, such as backing up your files, running antivirus software, installing software updates and using disk tools.
4. Computer Operating Systems: Managing Hardware and Software Resources
This lesson will introduce you to computer operating systems and help you figure out the difference between application and operating system software. Also, we will learn the difference between a desktop and wallpaper.
5. OS Functions: Security, System Management, Communication and Hardware & Software Services
The operating system (or OS ) is the brain of a computer and manages its functions, including systems management/monitoring, communication/networking services management, security services management, and hardware/software services management.
6. Systems Security: Firewalls, Encryption, Passwords & Biometrics
Computer systems face a number of security threats. Learn about different approaches to system security, including firewalls, data encryption, passwords and biometrics.
7. What is a Computer Virus? - Definition, Types & Protection
In this lesson, we'll discover the nature of computer viruses and how they are commonly spread. We'll look at the types of viruses, protection schemes, and some real-life examples.
8. Enterprise, Workgroup & Personal Operating Systems
While every computer needs an operating system, different devices and different users need different functionalities. Learn about the different types of operating systems.
9. File Systems: FAT, NTFS, and HFS+
Computers use file systems to control how information is stored and retrieved. Each file system has its own structure and logic. Learn about the different types of file systems for different operating systems in this lesson.
10. File Extensions and File Types: MP3, GIF, JPG, DOCX, XLSX, EXE, & More
File extensions are used to indicate the format of files so operating systems know what to do with them. Learn why there are so many different file extensions. Also learn about some of the most widely used file extensions.
11. Computer Files: Access, Formats & Sharing
In this lesson, you will learn how to access files locally and remotely through cloud storage, NAS devices and VPNs, and how to share files with colleagues, students, friends, and family members.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the Ohio Assessments for Educators - Computer/Technology (Subtests I & II)(016/017): Practice & Study Guide course
- Hardware & Systems Technology Basics
- Computer Data & Storage
- Computer & Peripheral Device Troubleshooting
- Acceptable Use Policies & Legal Issues
- Digital Security & Safety Issues at School
- Database Management
- Communicating with Software & Media
- Using Collaborative Online Tools to Communicate
- Electronic Research Tools & Information Literacy
- Using Technology to Improve Teaching & Learning
- Ohio Assessments for Educators Computer/Technology Flashcards