About This Chapter
Systems Thinking - Chapter Summary
For a portable and versatile review of systems thinking, employees can complete these lessons on their computer, tablet or smartphone. As they complete the lessons, they can also test their understanding of the material with the lesson quizzes. Our expert instructors have compiled these lessons and assessments to give users an effective way to improve their understanding of:
- Examples of systems thinking
- Applications of systems thinking
- Ways to practice systems thinking
- Context diagrams and mind maps
How It Helps
- Teaches new skills: Employees who review these lessons will have a better knowledge of how to use systems thinking and different ways to practice it.
- Builds awareness: These lessons discuss a few different ways systems thinking can be applied. Awareness of this knowledge will help employees utilize it more effectively.
- Improves productivity: Knowledge of systems thinking should improve employees' productivity when they are on a job.
By the end of this chapter, employees will be able to:
- Utilize and practice systems thinking
- Understand models and archetypes of systems thinking
- Identify applications of systems thinking
- Make sense of system context diagrams and mind maps
1. What is Systems Thinking? - Definition & Examples
What is more effective: breaking a problem down into bite-sized pieces or taking a helicopter view? Learn about the systems thinking approach and the best situations in which to apply it.
2. Systems Thinking: Approaches & Archetypes
Many situations in life can appear very different because of surrounding contexts. Nevertheless, when analyzed from a holistic perspective, a lot of similarities between them can be found. Learn to recognize and understand the most popular systems thinking archetypes!
3. Systems Thinking in Healthcare
How can physicians ensure that a new prescription will not harm their patient and fit in within their existing healthcare regime? Can the waiting lines in hospitals be reduced? Explore the application of systems thinking in healthcare to find out!
4. Systems Thinking Education & Training
Check out your options for systems thinking education with this article. You can learn which program types offer campus-based or online learning and find a program to fit your scheduling needs and career goals.
5. System Context Diagram: Description & Examples
In this lesson, you will learn the three key elements of a system context diagram. In addition, this lesson will describe how you can use this powerful diagramming tool to help identify the scope of a system.
6. What is a Mind Map? - Definition & Examples
This lesson explores one of the most versatile types of graphical organizers, the mind map. Let's take a closer look at some of the practical applications of mind maps and how they can help you understand and organize your ideas.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 160 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the Project Management Training course